Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for art-geared tech gear.

1. Suggestions for art-geared tech gear.

I'm finishing up digging out an area of the house where I can commit a lot of time and space to getting back into art, and I'd like some suggestions from you guys as to some of the things you might be using or have heard good things about.

What I'm really looking to get is a laptop that can do photoshop effectively and isn't a hugh dick punch to the wallet, one that could later accommodate a tablet (another thing I've never used but would love to try). So also suggestions for those thingers. Also I need to get me a scanner, the last one I used was from the stone age, and I want to get something that can scan something at least a little bigger than a normal sheet of paper. I've got the physical stuff from pencils and pastels to carving tools and oil paints, but I want to start incorporating the digital aspect so I can mess with stuff in a new manner than what I'm used to and share the stuff I normally do like I haven't been able to before.

Any help is gladly appreciated, I know you guys know where it's at.

P.S. If you have a suggestion for something I didn't think of or name that might be fun to try, throw those at me too!

2. I probably won't have anything to contribute, but here I go.

How much do you see yourself using a computer for art? How's the computer your on now? Get playing around now with some free software like GIMP or Paint.NET and get a grasp of what you want to do. If what you're going to do is mostly cleaning up scanned pictures then you won't need anything powerful at all, and a modest rig will do fine for a hobbyist/semi-pro at painting, too. I haven't shopped for scanners in years. Any computer will work with a tablet, it's basically a more sensitive mouse, but you might want to consider the size and space on your desk to use it. I know plenty of people think a 4x6 is big enough, unless you like working big.

I've been sitting in a drafting chair all day, and my ass hurts. Make sure you have a comfortable chair.

3. a 4x6 tablet is plenty big.
    Donk

4. I have a 6x8 and find it quite constraining (especially since it gets cut down to match screen ratio). Looking to upgrade, but it's so tempting to splurge on a Cintiq instead of bigger, widescreen Intuos.

I bought a Brother MFC-6490CW printer/scanner. It can scan and print 14"x17", and while it does neither in superior fashion, it was the most affordable A3 scanner I could find. For the most part, I don't need to stitch together my drawings anymore, which was in itself worth it. Printing out A3 blueline has been pretty handy too.

5. Wacom tablet, lots of RAM for the computer (try to max it out, you will never be able to tell you did this, but you will totally know if you did not), good monitor setup (I like two side by side, others like big cinema displays), get Photoshop (GIMP blows srsly) and mess with all the filters and buttons hardcore for a few months, then get into actually learning it with a book or youtube tutorials.

After that, go Illustrator/painter/flash/whatever suits you! Learn PS first though, good baseline for computer art.

(ps: I dropped less than $300 on a Toshiba Portage convertable tablet laptop off of eBay, put $100 in RAM in it and tripled the hard drive capacity, and it's a fine little secondary machine. Had to replace the battery inside of a year, but other than that buying used didn't hurt a damn thing. MILEAGE MAY VARY DOOD.)
    Last edited by YellerDog; 10 Mar 2011 at 03:15 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

6. GIMP is great if you don't want to spend money. Also, fuck tablets, load of expensive crap you don't need. Real men use a mouse. Real tough men use a track pad.
    Donk

7. Photoshop is also pretty great if you don't want to spend money and have loose morals about that sort of thing!
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

8. I hate Photoshop.

No, not really, i use it nearly every day.

You can get a computer a couple years old and it'd be fine unless you're planning on getting fancy like that yellerdog. I rock a 13" Macbook with 2GB of ram maxed the fuck out. I don't usually work on computer anyway, but when i do, i can run Photoshop, Illustrator, and Dreamweaver CS3 without any bogging or crashing (usually). If you get something with like 4 gigabits and floppy processors with nano-power cells, you can do whatever you want.
    Donk

9. Quote Originally Posted by Dunlap View Post
    How much do you see yourself using a computer for art? How's the computer your on now?

I've been sitting in a drafting chair all day, and my ass hurts. Make sure you have a comfortable chair.
    I'd keep the comp I have now as the one to do everything else, I'd like to get a laptop solely for the art stuffs and some web browsing and maybe play a game of Starcraft here and there. The computer I have now I could probably even steal some RAM from although I don't know how that all works moving from tower to laptop...
    And yeah, I have been dying for a good chair for a while now, I definetly understand their importance.

Quote Originally Posted by YellerDog View Post
    (ps: I dropped less than $300 on a Toshiba Portage convertable tablet laptop off of eBay, put $100 in RAM in it and tripled the hard drive capacity, and it's a fine little secondary machine. Had to replace the battery inside of a year, but other than that buying used didn't hurt a damn thing. MILEAGE MAY VARY DOOD.)
    That looks pretty interesting although it seems you got a phenomenal price on one compared to what they go for new. Still, good info, thanks all for the suggestions.

I've got this older Toshiba you should buy from me. I've used it for plenty of design work, and never had an issue.