Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suggestions for art-geared tech gear.

1. Tablet, Photoshop, and a scanner. When I draw I almost always do the blueprint by hand and then scan it in and work on it from there.

Painter is a great program if you're looking to do really fine digital painting (better than Photoshop for rendering texture and realistic-looking artwork). Also if you're going to use Photoshop try researching how to tweak your brush settings AND also try to find good free brushes to download. Really helps experiment. Photoshop is important. Make sure you know it (and Illustrator if you can get over the initial fear of curves). Illustrator is actually my favorite program in the Adobe creative suite.
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 10 Mar 2011 at 11:54 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

2. Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    Also if you're going to use Photoshop try researching how to tweak your brush settings AND also try to find good free brushes to download.
    Best non-hardware advice in the thread so far.

3. I used PS about 11 years ago very briefly and thats about my experience with it, so it's gunna be a huge learning process I'm sure, but one I think I'll enjoy.

4. My advice would be don't buy anything. I know it's tempting to feel like you need to buy a bunch of new equipment to aid you on this grand re-introduction to the fine world of art.

None of that stuff will help you just sit down and draw though. I would suggest doing that first and trying to stick to it before potentially wasting a bunch of money.

I find the best way to do that is to come up with a specific project that you want to complete, and work toward it. You always get better drawings and learn more if you have a defined purpose.

5. DO carve out some sort of private art cave that you can hole up in and be left alone (if possible) though.

6. Ram. Lots of it.

(I don't deserve to be in this thread.)

7. Quote Originally Posted by cigsthecat View Post
    My advice would be don't buy anything. I know it's tempting to feel like you need to buy a bunch of new equipment to aid you on this grand re-introduction to the fine world of art.

None of that stuff will help you just sit down and draw though. I would suggest doing that first and trying to stick to it before potentially wasting a bunch of money.

I find the best way to do that is to come up with a specific project that you want to complete, and work toward it. You always get better drawings and learn more if you have a defined purpose.
    1000% this.

Don't buy a ton of shit thinking the financial investment will make you persevere. Not trying to be a dick, but you need to just draw. The most valuable thing that you are going to sink into your art is your time. Spend a lot of time making art and you WILL get better. There is nothing on the planet more valuable than your time. You will never have more of it than you do now. The older I get the more I find myself devoting every spare second to drawing and it has paid off more in the last year in improvement than I have seen in in the previous 2 or 3. They say you have a thousand bad drawings in you. Get them out. =) If you stick with drawing every day for a year, take the money you save on going out or buying video games and you will be able to afford a tablet and a scanner and whatever else. Then it will be a sensible purchase.

8. JM and cigs know what's up!
    Donk

9. Quote Originally Posted by cigsthecat View Post
    DO carve out some sort of private art cave that you can hole up in and be left alone (if possible) though.
    This is the current project I'm working on, very excited for when I get it done because having that space is something that has always helped me a lot.