Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TNL Music Club: Week #9. Dub Trio - Another Sound is Dying

TNL Music Club: Week #9. Dub Trio - Another Sound is Dying

DUB TRIO
    ANOTHER SOUND IS DYING

Metaled out dub. Very heavy shit. Some tracks are straight up eye watering bass dub. Most of the tracks come at you with heavy rock/punk/metal riffs and wonk out with effects or crazy dub breaks. Pure three-piece instrumental album, though Mike Patton shows up to do guest vocals on "No Flag."

I've heard some people compare these guys to Bad Brains. Whatever, not really. It's some of the most aggressive "dub" music I have ever heard though.

All of the sounds you hear these guys can actually produce live. I could not identify a lot of equipment they were using, but thankfully they didn't use it to throw down wanky faggotry. Their rep has been built on their stellar live shows and they played an incredibly tight set when I saw them. I highly recommend checking them out if they come through your town.

Here's a short interview. Live videos at the bottom.

I think a lot of you guys will dig this, at least some of it if not the whole thing.

Standout tracks to me include:
    aight after going through I listed most of the album so I'll just say there are a few weaker tracks. Solid overall.

You'll find all you need in the club folder.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cd-feature-dub-trio-another-sound-dying-Dub_Trio_Another_Sound_is_Dying_Ipecac.jpg 
Views:	537 
Size:	47.7 KB 
ID:	60840  
    Last edited by Cowutopia; 21 Mar 2011 at 09:02 PM.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

It may seem a little weird at first, or like their songs are kind of mashed together, but I like how the dubbed out bits create space and tension for the rock riffs to explode through. And the drumming is superb.

My favorite track is Bay vs. Leonard.
    Runner-Up is Safe and Sane
    Last edited by Cowutopia; 22 Mar 2011 at 12:42 AM.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie

3. Right off the bat the first song is a good listen, it's just good music.

4. Excited to listen to this. Gonna go headphones + dark room tonight.
    ABOUT ME.

"Underground music should have its back turned, it needs to be gone, untrackable, unreadable"

5. Just did a full listen on a walk and Felicitacion is my current favorite song.

It came on while I was walking past some house that had a pond and a fuck ton of ducks and I stood there and watched them for a minute while it played, it was pretty sweet.

6. Yeah this is my favorite thing from club so far.

Bay Vs. Leonard took over as my favorite song. I've listened to it over a dozen times today alone.

7. This just sounds like the most plain instrumental rock ever with random dub parts. The heavy parts are really weak.

Hell, I'm really not into dub and I think those parts are only good thing they have going.

That's a valid criticism. It's the thing this group gets criticized for the most, too. The rock riffs are pretty plain, but I dig it anyway.

It's understandable too. They pretty much started out as a straight dub outfit and evolved into this. Their dub sections definitely shine. This album is better than new heavy and I will be watching for the next one.

The best tracks on this album are the ones that really manage the contrasting styles well. Safe and sane into agonist is a sweet little pairing of songs. It almost sounds like the beginning part of safe and sane literally explodes and is then recorded in expansive slow motion.

Whatever the case you cannot ignore the tight drumming.
    Last edited by Cowutopia; 24 Mar 2011 at 01:44 PM.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie

9. Quote Originally Posted by FirstBlood View Post
    This just sounds like the most plain instrumental rock ever with random dub parts.
    This is why I like it, actually.

It feels like they aren't trying to make it any other way, it's just something good to listen to while reading, driving in the car or walking.