Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Deyellowing Plastic - Mother $&#ucking Science!

Deyellowing Plastic - Mother $&#ucking Science!

Good News Everyone!

I'm going to show you how to get sun damage out of plastic.

What is sun damage you ask? A lot of plastics in the 80s were made with a built in flame retardant chemical. When sunlight shines on plastic with this chemical in it, for an extended amount of time, the plastic will turn a dark yellow.

Well, how do you get rid of it you may ask? WITH SCIENCE!

First you will need a glass container of some variety. Then you will need a sun or a lamp that produces light in a similar spectrum as the sun. Plant lamps will usually do. And lastly you need some Hydrogen peroxide.

After you've gotten these things together, put whatever it is that you want to deyellow in the glass container. Pour the peroxide into the container. Then place the lamp above the mixture, turn on, and wait!

It is advised that you get all metals out of whatever thing you are deyellowing!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pr1.jpg 
Views:	774 
Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	60910   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pr2.JPG 
Views:	684 
Size:	111.3 KB 
ID:	60911  
    Last edited by BonusKun; 27 Mar 2011 at 12:13 AM.

2. Real question: Can you do this to get tomato sauce stains out of tupperware? You know you re-heat your pasta you made two nights before. Now that red stain is there and no amount of Dawn gets that shit out.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.

I thought this thread was going to be about Retrobright. I need to make some of that shit.

The thread could go in that direction if there is enough interest. I could test both methods!

anyway, more information! From the retrobright site!

http://retr0bright.wikispaces.com/

Anyone who has dug their old computer or console out of the cupboard or loft for some retro gaming will probably have noticed that it maybe hasn’t worn too well with the test of time. The plastics these machines were made of is called ABS and to make it flame retardant (just in case it catches fire after a marathon session) the plastics manufacturers added chemicals that caused the plastic turn yellow or, even worse, brown over a long period of time.

It was originally thought that the yellowing was permanent and that the only solution to this was to paint the plastic in its original colour and cover the problem up. However, a chance discovery was made in March 2008, by The CBM Museum at Wuppertal in Germany (http://www.forum64.de), that immersing parts in a solution of Hydrogen Peroxide for a few days could partially reverse the process. This was initially taken up by the Amiga community in Germany (http://www.a1k.org) and the idea eventually found its way to the English Amiga Board (http://eab.abime.net), where a madcap collection of chemists, plastics engineers and retro hackers managed to perfect this concept and put it on steroids, with help from other forums.

Dave Stevenson from Manchester, UK, aka 'Merlin', the chemist behind the project, explains. “I came across the use of peroxide in July 2008 when Kristian95 told us over at EAB about what people like AmigaGTI were doing with it over at a1k.org. I was intrigued by this, as I am a former industrial chemist. I am also a plant Safety Manager by trade and, purely by coincidence, around that time I read about a dust explosion that had occurred in the UK with a chemical called TAED, which is the booster in the ‘active oxygen’ laundry products.”

“This got me thinking, and after some really 'full-on', serious chemistry discussions with other EAB members, like Rkauer in Brazil, who is a plastics Engineer and my good friend Zetr0 from Kings Lynn, Norfolk, UK, who endured endless phone calls from me, we wrote some epic threads on English Amiga Board about the possible causes of the yellowing and eventually we arrived at the theory that it was the Bromine in the flame retardant that was the cause. We also knew that Ultra Violet light was another major factor. Having identified the culprit, the next stage was to try to develop and perfect a means of treating the plastic and reversing the yellowing quicker, without causing damage to the plastic. Being a former industrial chemist helped me tremendously, in understanding what was going on at the molecular level and to develop a treatment process to reverse the effect.”

“The problem was finally cracked in late July 2008 with a mixture of hydrogen peroxide, a small amount of an “Oxy” laundry booster as a catalyst and a UV lamp; we believed that this could do the job in hours instead of days. Proof of this concept was demonstrated on EAB by Tonyyeb from Hull, UK, Chiark from Leeds, UK and myself. The original test I did as proof of concept took two hours, as opposed to up to the five days it took for the original tests at CBM and a1k.org. We were on to something!!

5. What concentration of peroxide are you using?

3%

7. Where's the before and after?

I'm doing this right now. I'll give updates as we go.

But you can go here for some pretty awesome pictures: http://retr0bright.wikispaces.com/

apparently this was pioneered to restore old vintage game consoles!

9. Has this been covered here before? I've seen this being done to SNESes.