Thread: 13 Assassins

1. Film 13 Assassins

By Takashi Miike

Info: 13 Assassins (十三人の刺客 Jūsannin no Shikaku?) is a 2010 Japanese jidaigeki film directed by Takashi Miike, known for his ultra-violent work in the horror genre.

A samurai epic based on a true incident, the film was produced by Japanese producer Toshiaki Nakazawa, who won the 2009 Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film for Departures. It was executive-produced by Jeremy Thomas, a British producer with a reputation for breaking Asian titles into the international market, most notably Bernardo Bertolucci's nine-time Oscar winner The Last Emperor, Nagisa Ôshima's Merry Christmas, Mr Lawrence and Takeshi Kitano's Brother.

The film is a remake of Eiichi Kudo’s 1963 black-and-white Japanese film of the same name, Jûsan-nin no shikaku. The screenplay was written by Daisuke Tengan.

It stars Koji Yakusho, whose credits include Memoirs of a Geisha and Shall We Dance, along with Takayuki Yamada, Hiroki Matsukata, and Kazuki Namioka.

It's nominated for Best Film at the 34th Japan Academy Prize.

Hi-Def Trailer: http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/i...t/13assassins/

Youtube version:

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.

2. http://twitchfilm.com/reviews/2011/0...ins-review.php
    I'll start off by saying everything you've heard about 13 Assassins is true. It is one of Miike's most mature and accomplished films to date. It boasts exquisite production value and is beautifully shot. And yes, it culminates in an epic 40 minute battle that recalls Akira Kurosawa and the classic Jidaigeki of yore. So why did I merely enjoy the film? Why wasn't I blown away?

[...]

That doesn't mean it isn't the best film Miike's made in years- because it is. Front to back, it's across the board solid. It just doesn't have that little something extra to push it over the edge into greatness. I'm not talking about dart-spitting vaginas or zombie musical numbers, here. A lack of patented Miike "craziness" isn't the problem. It just doesn't stand out as anything other than a well made exercise in classical Japanese storytelling.
    Sounds good enough. I'll check this out.

3. I heard a really in depth review of a TIFF screening on Gentlemen's Guide to Midnight Cinema, it sounds pretty great.

4. Its most Un-Miike's film, made by Miike There are bits of fucked up stuff, but nothing crazy as you would expect from the man.

Also, its pretty awesome, if you enjoy classic samurai films. Lots of great samurai action in 2nd half.

5. This is playing around here, probably going to see it this weekend!
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

6. Quote Originally Posted by Despair View Post
    Lots of great samurai action in 2nd half.
    this by 10 thousand. It was so damn awesome.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.