Page 462 of 537 FirstFirst ... 448458460461462463464466476 ... LastLast
Results 4,611 to 4,620 of 5369

Thread: Official Wii U Thread

1. There is no correct term. The problem is that "Metroidvania" is a really stupid term, especially since, as was noted right here in this thread, Metroid games existed for like, 10 years before Castlevania aped it. Calling them "Metroid-style" games would be far more accurate, SOTN was a "Metroid-style" game. Flip it around and call Metroid Fusion or whatever a SOTN-style game - it just makes no sense.

2. 100% agree

3. Quote Originally Posted by Darmonde View Post
    Action exploration skill unlock traversal game?
    Let's go with Skill Level Unlocking Traversal games.

4. You like playing those SLUT games? I'm totally into SLUTs.
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

5. Yeah, lot of Metroid and Castlevania games don't fit the term, older and newer. But despite the stupidity of it's etymology, it's a surprisingly clear descriptor.

It should be 'Super Metroid clone'. I use the term 'DmC clone' for any god of war type game, but I might be the only one.

Or we can just go with SLUTs like Mech suggested. I like SLUTs.
    John / JohnNiner / Niner

6. It's kind of like rogue-like, except that term has been ruined by the gaming press the past few years. You call the game a Metroid-like or Metroid-style and everybody knows exactly what you are gonna get.

7. I'm into SLUTs.

8. I could go for a SLUT right now. I haven't experienced a good one in a while.

9. I get that it’s a convenient game to reference but I don’t like how so many people think Metroid invented the genre. I don’t know if the term “Metroidvania” is more of a symptom or a cause of that but it’s a problem that didn’t always exist. Games in that genre weren’t uncommon prior to Metroid.

"Metroidvania" didn't cause that; Nintendo shut-ins sort of growing up did. It's yet another thing Nintendo "invented."