Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123457 ... LastLast

Thread: Home audio: Soundbars vs. traditional speaker set-ups

1. I've come to the realization that surround in a small room doesn't really work that well unless you crank it hard and piss off your neighbors. Does your tv have audio-out? That used to be a huge loss of signal but the new ones out out a decent sound.

I recommend spending some time at your local goodwill and keep your eyes out for a used receiver and tower speakers. People somehow lost their appreciation for a decent set of stereo speakers and you can get a powerful head unit and two nice speakers that will more than fill out the room for so much less than a crappy sound bar. Samsung makes a sound bar that functions with an hdmi in and an hdmi out. You have to take your entire a/v signal and cram it through the sound bar. God forbid you have more than a one device because there is only one input. Madness I tell you.

The next step is consolidating your 5 remotes. I got the lg harmony 700 and it works pretty well after you get all the bugs worked out.

I'm a snob.

3. I'm using the term "surround sound" for "good sound". My bad. For years I thought surround sound was the best I could get but I'm never going to clutter up my living/entertaining space with wires. Maybe if I had a dedicated theater room, but we didn't buy that kind of house.

I'll still consider a 5.1 solution but only if it can be wireless b/c the room's too big to tastefully cover the wires.

BB had a Sony 5.1 wireless system that looked promising (less some awful tower speakers).
    2009 TNL Fantasy Football Champion

4. Quote Originally Posted by Hubbitron View Post
    Does your tv have audio-out? That used to be a huge loss of signal but the new ones out out a decent sound.
    The audio out on my Sony TV doesn't support the sound from the HDMI inputs, so I have to run optical cables from everything else to my receiver. I could really use an HDMI receiver.

I want one of these.

6. Quote Originally Posted by MechDeus View Post
    The audio out on my Sony TV doesn't support the sound from the HDMI inputs, so I have to run optical cables from everything else to my receiver. I could really use an HDMI receiver.
    That's... Upsetting... And confusing.

Hiding wires isn't too bad if you run them around the corner of the ceiling and wall then cover them with molding. You only have to penetrate the wall from ceiling to speaker.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    I want one of these.
    Yeah I've been looking for a tube receiver for years now.

When I owned a home I ran speaker wires through the walls, and installed jacks for easy speaker connection action.

Shit ruled.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubbitron View Post
    Yeah I've been looking for a tube receiver for years now.
    There are occasionally really cheap ones that pop up on Amazon.

Also, I never should have gotten rid of the tube quad stereo receiver. ah youth..

10. Quote Originally Posted by Hubbitron View Post
    That's... Upsetting... And confusing.
    It really is, especially since I don't currently have an optical output on my PC so it's forced to use the TV speakers.

Also: Even though it's a 1080p TV and there's a dedicated VGA input for PCs, that particular input limits itself to 720p. Go Sony.