Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345679 ... LastLast

Thread: Home audio: Soundbars vs. traditional speaker set-ups

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Also, wireless speakers introduce just enough lag to make me fucking insane.
    Sad that this is still a problem.

The guy who solves this problem will be a rich man

I was really into home theater, surround sound, etc., about 7-8 years back. If yo're working with a smaller room, and want to keep pretty clean aesthetics, I would recommend starting with two high-quality floorstanding speakers. Subwoofers, when they're worth a damn, are typically pretty huge. Floorstanding speakers may not give you the same punch as a huge subwoofer, but that is only really apparent at higher volumes. If you build the system slowly, you can expand with the room size and wait for deals to show up. Don't be afraid to buy used. Sign up to the A/V forums (avsforum is a big one) and keep an eye out on the classifieds section.

I have had Home Theater Direct speakers for years. I have a full surround setup, but I use them in a bedroom at the moment, so I only use the two bookshelf speakers. I would check out their b-stock section; I see that they have both their entry-level and higher-tier tower speakers marked down (Former is b-stock, latter is a discontinued finish).

3. Considering the amount of lag that the average HDTV produces, it's probably a good thing to have laggy sound.

Considering that I like apples it's probably a good thing that I have all these oranges.
    Last edited by Josh; 09 Dec 2012 at 11:00 AM.

5. <plug>

I haven't brought up any of the stuff that work on on the forums since it's difficult to not sound like your selling something. Monster HDMI cables come to mind But this is something that I've been working on for two years, actually use at my home, and totally love. So if anyone is contemplating getting a soundbar, I'd be much obliged if you would consider this one: http://www.sonos.com/introducing/playbar

</plug>. Now back to your regularly scheduled programming

Nice features. It mentions playing music from your iTunes library. Is this through Airplay, or something else?

This is old, but...
    Quote Originally Posted by Gondolin View Post
    It makes no sense to bottleneck your setup by connecting a quality sound source to a quality set of speakers with shitty 24 gauge wire.
    Unless you're running cables for distances greater than 50-ish feet, or have crazy low impedance speakers, anything greater than 16 gauge isn't necessary. After this you start getting into the realm of the Snake Oil Salesman.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Nice features. It mentions playing music from your iTunes library. Is this through Airplay, or something else?
    Thanks. There's two ways we can play iTunes music. We play the iTunes library that lives on your iPhone/iPodTouch through our controller app and can also play your iTunes library and/or ther rest of your digital music files off of your computer (through a network share) or a NAS. A NAS is typically on 24/7 so playing off of that is never an issue. If your digital music library is on your PC/Mac, then the device would need to be on so that we can stream the music off of it. As your probably saw, we have built in support for your Pandora/Spotify/MOG/etc. if you have an accoundtwith any of those music services. The thing also integrates seamlessly with the rest of your Sonos system, if you have one

I wish it was Airplay, but I understand why it isn't. Is this gonna be in big box stores? I'd like to hear it.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    I wish it was Airplay, but I understand why it isn't. Is this gonna be in big box stores? I'd like to hear it.
    It will be. We are supposed to have retail displays at Best Buy Magnolia theaters and other stores. I hope you get to listen to it paired with the SUB. We release March 5th.