Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TNL Music Club Week #10: Randy Newman - Good Old Boys

1. This is really great. Pretty much just what I expected, as I really enjoy checking out these singer/songwriters that I was previously too much of a stupid elitist faggot to acknowledge in years past. I love the quality of his voice (even if it's almost tongue in cheek at times), and just how blunt the lyrics are.

Looking forward to checking out Faust too.
    Last edited by FirstBlood; 05 Apr 2011 at 04:06 PM.

2. Faust was conceived as a musical, so you might want to read this quick plot summary (taken from the liner notes) so you get the context:
    http://www.lyricsplanet.com/index.ph...yrics&id=17439
    http://www.lyricsplanet.com/index.ph...yrics&id=17440

Like "Sandman's Coming" sounds like a sweet lullaby, but it's actually Margaret singing to her dead infant after drowning it. Brutal shit.

Gonna get this under my belt today. Been at manager training classes the last two days...left me pretty exhausted, but I am way, way stoked for Randy Newman. I can get up to actively listen to this.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

I didn't expect the music to be so bright after reading those lyrics.

I mean track 1 sounds just like something off the toy story soundtrack. I am used to associating this sound with awesome Pixar movies.
    Last edited by Cowutopia; 05 Apr 2011 at 06:59 PM.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie

5. Quote Originally Posted by Cowutopia View Post
    I didn't expect the music to be so bright after reading those lyrics.

I mean track 1 sounds just like something off the toy story soundtrack. I am used to associating this sound with awesome Pixar movies.
    Yeah he's kind of come full circle like that. The Newmans are a long line of film composers and early on he was really into doing those kinds of lush string and horn arrangements that would later be a hallmark of his own film work.

In the late 70s and 80s he got into a lot of synthesizer and guitar cheese (some of which is still great despite being dated) but he eventually came back to this kind of sound in his film scores and recent albums.

I'm not really sure if I like it this way.

The last third I was kind of digging but I think I missed this boat.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie

7. Really? I kind of thought the album was front-loaded in the first 2/3, if anything. Listen to Guilty and Louisiana again.

8. I'll load this up tonight and give it a listen during laundry. I checked out track one, and i can get into the vocals, which is usually the deal breaker...Fuck, you guys are tossing up some really old school classic, significant, influential bands, i feel like my pick of a newer, band no one has ever heard might let down the groove haha

Or maybe not...
    You can never be one of the dead, because something that has no existence can have no community.

Frontiers

9. The whole point of the Music Club is to mix things up, if it's a good album and I haven't listened to it already, it's a good pickl in my book.

10. My favorite stuff in music club has been newer, which is not to say I haven't enjoyed some of the older stuff. The point is pick a CD you think we'll like but haven't heard, nothing else matters.