Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 1234616 ... LastLast

Thread: Forum Superstars

1. edit: to Opaque.

Criticism isn't made valid by the deliverer. It exists outside of that.

I've offered to get creative for Nick in the past.

He declined.
    Boo, Hiss.

2. Quote Originally Posted by bbobb View Post
    And part of what makes TNL great is sometimes threads are at their best AFTER they go off topic. Pretty much every thread posted by IP and Opaque are great examples of that.
    Making TNL into a something awful esque police state with extreme strictness to the rules and banning isn't something that is going to work.
    Again, why assume there's a police state coming? How long have you Internet-known me? But there's humor and true personality and there's people making threads their own personal chamber pots.

3. I will say that Icarus DID contribute to the "Let's Cooking" thread. He even created a new thread when the old one was shitted up by Jason.

this was pointed towards Opaque.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Advocate View Post
    I will say that Icarus DID contribute to the "Let's Cooking" thread. He even created a new thread when the old one was shitted up by Jason.
    Yes. Personality without regurgitation and excessive narcissism.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Again, why assume there's a police state coming? How long have you Internet-known me? But there's humor and true personality and there's people making threads their own personal chamber pots.
    The banning of any and all things you deem as catch phrases/memes is one of the many police state actions Something Awful condones, hence my comparing it to that.

And also to be fair, I have internet-known you for many years, but you have also been fairly non-existant within the forums for many years now, only popping up every once in a while for a few days and gone again.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    It doesn't have to be one or the other. And this site has become less about community and more about individuals posting to amuse themselves and the five other people that think like them. You want groupthink, see some of our threads. The sad thing is how many brilliant posters are phoning it in and just typing the same phrase over and over. If that's the "antidote" you're seeking, then I'm surprised.
    No, I'm not suggesting we become a running in-joke.
    I'm suggesting we tackle games from a different angle.
    The forums will be what the forums will be. It's like restaurants; no matter how hard you try, the place is going to run the way it's going to run. Every "rules crack down" is met with derision and avarice - not togetherness.

You think we lost one of our best supporters and there should be consequences - I think we lost a dinosaur that hadn't checked the weather.
    Boo, Hiss.

7. Quote Originally Posted by bbobb View Post
    And also to be fair, I have internet-known you for many years, but you have also been fairly non-existant within the forums for many years now, only popping up every once in a while for a few days and gone again.
    I'm here throughout the day every day. I just choose, most of the time, not to post unless I have something to add.

8. Quote Originally Posted by icarusfall View Post
    No, I'm not suggesting we become a running in-joke.
    I'm suggesting we tackle games from a different angle.
    The forums will be what the forums will be. It's like restaurants; no matter how hard you try, the place is going to run the way it's going to run. Every "rules crack down" is met with derision and avarice - not togetherness.

You think we lost one of our best supporters and there should be consequences - I think we lost a dinosaur that hadn't checked the weather.
    To be fair, it is true that we are stagnanting. We keep losing members but we aren't getting any new ones.

The bigger question is WHY would people come here. Nick seems to want to push the games side, the focused discussion side, but hell if someone wants to go somewhere to talk about games they're going to go to neoGAF. TNL needs to figure out what exactly it wants to offer, what it is to attract new people.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

9. Quote Originally Posted by icarusfall View Post
    No, I just saw the opportunity and seized it. You know how often I hear how shitty the forums are now? And who are the people I've usually complimented on the forums? Yoshi, Josh, Kano, and omfgninjas. Are those sterile personalities that play it safe and talk about boring topics? Personally, I think Yoshi is the best poster here because he is able to hold his own in gaming discussion, tech topics, current events, etc., and he doesn't usually resort to easy jokes.

10. We lie in the middle ground currently.

There can be no middle ground.

You're either awesome, or lost in the media assault.
    Boo, Hiss.