Page 1 of 51 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: Forum Superstars

1. Forum Superstars

I've been meaning to do this, but it isn't overly time sensitive and there are about two dozen other changes ahead of it on my TNL to-do list. The recent post by NeoZeedeater about the focus of these boards is a perfect launching-off point, though, so I'll announce this now. Let it be known as the NeoZ Clause if you want to call it anything.

This October will mark ten years since the merger of TNL and the GameGO forums. June will mark the beginning of the fourteenth year of TNL. I am very enthusiastic about showing off Gaming Discussion, and lately I have been eager to show off the articles on the main site - since we have begun to publish content again. What embarrasses me, however, is what passes for humor and "personality" in the non Gaming areas.

Effective immediately - and there will be an announcement about this at the top of each forum - I will be getting a lot stricter about what constitutes disrupting a topic. The phrase "your mom," for example, will now get you a two-point red card. Accruing three points within ten days, you should know by now, gets you an automatic ban. I don't care how it's used - those two words together earn an infraction. Any word or phrase that is used similarly will also be carded. That not only includes "your m*m," "yr mom," "your. Mom," or "**** ***," but absolutely anything used as a circle-jerk catchphrase.

I recently banned three popular people, one for a whole half year, because I felt they were disrupting the forum for their own shits and giggles a bit too much. But this is happening constantly. At this point, I honestly don't care if come October there are only ten active members on here as long as they aren't a bunch of veterans thinking they're clever when in actuality they peaked around 2004 and have become nothing but jaded caricatures of themselves since then.

If this doesn't apply to you, don't worry about it. Traffic is steady and 90% of the members here are great - even the 10% I'm talking about are all right most of the time. But I will be carding and banning a lot more, and it's for the good of the community. I've said it elsewhere and I'll say it here: if you're intent is to be the superstar center of attention, there is free forum software and free Web hosting readily available. TNL needs to regain its balance or die trying.

2. So anything resembling a meme or catchphrase is now against the rules?
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

3. If its not on topic. That's how I read it.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.

4. So long as we can still cuss and be appropriately mean I welcome this change.

Calling someone out on their shit is one thing, but just derailing every single fucking thread that exists because it's your meme was old 5 years ago.

5. To me, TNL has always thrived on being the antidote to the typical videogame fan/site. What made this place great for a gathering of minds is that it's been a sort of net for the misfits that don't fit in in other places. The Ikaruga piece is still the best review I've ever read. Who needs another site that posts the same news and has the same discussion about the same games? I know I don't. We don't tend to bow down before sacred cows, and we damn sure don't take ourselves too seriously. When it does happen it's called out for what it is. That's what makes TNL special. Seeing you try to make TNL a "legitimate" gaming site over the last few years has been more than a little depressing to watch. In my eyes, it's taking something brilliant and dumbing it down for mass consumption. Do you really just want to make your site another aggregate on metacritic? Or do you want to be the cool kid that smokes?

imo
    Boo, Hiss.

6. There is excessive disruption of threads to the point that I think most moderators and many other members have just thrown up their hands and given up.

7. It's cyclic.

It always has been.
    Boo, Hiss.

8. And part of what makes TNL great is sometimes threads are at their best AFTER they go off topic. Pretty much every thread posted by IP and Opaque are great examples of that.
    Making TNL into a something awful esque police state with extreme strictness to the rules and banning isn't something that is going to work.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

9. Quote Originally Posted by icarusfall View Post
    To me, TNL has always thrived on being the antidote to the typical videogame fan/site. What made this place great for a gathering of minds is that it's been a sort of net for the misfits that don't fit in in other places. The Ikaruga piece is still the best review I've ever read. Who needs another site that posts the same news and has the same discussion about the same games? I know I don't. We don't tend to bow down before sacred cows, and we damn sure don't take ourselves too seriously. When it does happen it's called out for what it is. That's what makes TNL special. Seeing you try to make TNL a "legitimate" gaming site over the last few years has been more than a little depressing to watch. In my eyes, it's taking something brilliant and dumbing it down for mass consumption. Do you really just want to make your site another aggregate on metacritic? Or do you want to be the cool kid that smokes?
    In all honestly this whole thing would hold more weight if your largest contribution to the boards over the last six months wasn't "this thread sucks".

Quote Originally Posted by bbobb View Post
    And part of what makes TNL great is sometimes threads are at their best AFTER they go off topic. Pretty much every thread posted by IP and Opaque are great examples of that.
    They can still be that without meme cache phrase shit. In fact the piss down the sink thread didn't have any of the your mother shit in it, it had new original fun stuff, which Nick is still allowing.

10. Quote Originally Posted by icarusfall View Post
    imo
    It doesn't have to be one or the other. And this site has become less about community and more about individuals posting to amuse themselves and the five other people that think like them. You want groupthink, see some of our threads. The sad thing is how many brilliant posters are phoning it in and just typing the same phrase over and over. If that's the "antidote" you're seeking, then I'm surprised.