Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst ... 23456818 ... LastLast

Thread: Phonetography - Cell Phone Cameras Only

1. It's faking something the camera isn't to make it look more interesting than it actually is. Autotune is faking someone's singing range to make them sound more interesting than they actually are.

I'm fine with this.

I can take perfectly acceptable pictures without the Hipstamatic app. Shitty singers NEED pitch correction to sound good. Blow it out your ass.

3. No, it's gimmicky. Everyone can take "perfectly acceptable pictures" because all that's required for that is to point the camera and push a button. The app is taking these snapshots and throwing various filters and color adjustments on them with no regard for the content (I'm sure you have some user control in what "effect" you want to achieve, but the process is all automated). It would be better to have originals that you could tinker with in different directions, but as a fun diversion with photos you're not that invested in, why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Btw... all good photography is about the moment.
    I think that's a given considering the medium. If you're saying good photography only results from spontaneity, then that seems quite tough to justify.

You "tinker" with the shots by selecting combinations of "lenses" "film" and "flashes" like we used to do with analog photography back when it was still fun. The allure of this program to me is not knowing what is going to come out of my camera. Taking a digital picture, then enhancing it with Adobe® Photoshop® has never been fun, or appealing. I like the forced limitation that this app provides.
    Quote Originally Posted by FuryFox View Post
    Everyone can take "perfectly acceptable pictures"
    No, everyone can not. See: vacation photos.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Btw... all good photography is about the moment. IMO of course.
    And knowing how to frame and angle it.

This boring picture of an awesome moment could have been made 100x better if you framed and angled it more dramatically to capture the action of a guitarist rocking out. You need to be up in the action. Right now, all you see is a lot of boring environment and an intense subject not getting the focus she deserves.

Click for full size

EDIT: or 90 deg counter clockwise so you can see both the guitarist and the bassist in the background would have been good. But there's no need to see the drummer or amps, nothing is really going on back there that needs to take the focus away from the guitarist.

Lighting too, but that's where the hipsta-tune comes in.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photography101.GIF 
Views:	435 
Size:	117.3 KB 
ID:	61123  
    Last edited by Zac; 12 Apr 2011 at 03:47 PM.

Yeah, I took that while rocking the fuck out with my cell phone over my head without any kind of filtering app.

also, lol at implying you could freely move about the floor and carefully frame your shots during a Guitar Wolf set. I can remember exactly what was happening when I pushed the shutter button, what song was playing, who was violently dry humping me dolemite etc. I "captured the moment" just fine for my purposes

Quote Originally Posted by Zac View Post
    she
    This is license to ignore everything you ever say about anytyhing ever btw.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    I took this in Jamaica:
    Take me with you.

Hipstamatic is the autotune of photography.
    In some ways, yeah. But I only hate autotune because it sounds like shit. A lot electronic instruments give people the ability to make music without having the talent to actually beat a drum, and I don't think that's a bad thing.

Hipstamatic makes cell phone pictures look nice. They otherwise rarely do. And since I can't carry my DSLR with me every time I go grab lunch or meet with some friends, a cell phone is what I'm left with. Hipstamatic makes it almost as fun to take pictures with a phone as using a DSLR. In some ways it captures better, more real shots because it happens so quickly and easily. This is the purpose of the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by MechDeus View Post
    Well, the Instagram anyway. That other program costs money and has nickel and dime shit. Fuck that one.
    It'll cost probably $8 total to buy the app ($1.99) and the handful of expansion kits. It will be the best $8 you ever spend on your iPhone.

Quote Originally Posted by FuryFox View Post
    I think that's a given considering the medium. If you're saying good photography only results from spontaneity, then that seems quite tough to justify.
    I certainly wouldn't say only. But definitely there is a unique value to the shots you can capture with a cell phone that just wouldn't happen with a DSLR.

This boring picture of an awesome moment could have been made 100x better if you framed and angled it more dramatically to capture the action of a guitarist rocking out. You need to be up in the action. Right now, all you see is a lot of boring environment and an intense subject not getting the focus she deserves.
    The point of the thread is that what you just described wouldn't have happened because 1) that requires a lot of setup and thought, and 2) you'd need a DSLR around your neck at all times to capture idealized versions of pictures.

9. Quote Originally Posted by MarkRyan View Post
    It'll cost probably $8 total to buy the app ($1.99) and the handful of expansion kits. It will be the best $8 you ever spend on your iPhone.
    Maybe when I get an iPhone 5. Not sure I feel my 3G is worth the money.

Click for full size

Here is a lovely autotuned photo of my dog's asshole in response to everyone being serious business about this shit. I like the way the brightness collects around her lighter fur to really bring out the darkened anus.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0391[1].JPG 
Views:	428 
Size:	125.9 KB 
ID:	61124