Thread: Help with Maya Mental Ray lighting?

1. Help with Maya Mental Ray lighting?

So...I'm just starting out on Maya. Hopefully this is an easy question:
    I love the Mental Ray color temperature shader mib_cie_d. It instantly makes everything look great. The only problem is that I totally lose the light in the viewport as soon as I connect. If I put the shader on every light, the viewport pretty much goes totally black.

Is it even possible to configure the viewport (regular, high quality, or 2.0) to display Mental Ray lighting? If so, how? If not, is there any sort of work-around so I can position my lights in real time?

What I render it as:

What it looks like with my lights in the viewport:

What it looks like in the viewport with default lights:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GC1.jpg 
Views:	912 
Size:	198.6 KB 
ID:	65886   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GC2.png 
Views:	898 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	65887   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GC3.png 
Views:	873 
Size:	129.0 KB 
ID:	65888  

2. Most (if not all) of the mental ray shaders, and materials don't work in the Maya viewport. Your workflow would be to either add this to the lights at the end, once you have them positioned where you want, or position them using the IPR render. Just set your AA and other stuff to low, while doing the IPR stuff and then bump all that stuff back up once you're ready to do a final render.
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

3. Ipr sounds like a great idea.

4. One more question...
    What is the most important part of building a computer to decrease render time? CPU? RAM? Other?

5. For render times, it's CPU, more cores and more speed the better, and ram. How much were you looking to spend on a build? Tell me that and I can recommend a CPU for you. Also I would stay away from the 6xx line of video cards from Nvidia, they're purposely holding back on the Open GL drivers, and compute stuff on their gaming line of cards to try and force people to buy quadros instead. AMD's stuff those is really kicking ass with their gamer stuff in that sense.
    Where I play
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

6. Thanks again! I guess we're looking at 4k-ish... This is helping a ton. We all really got thrown into this one blind.

7. Are you guys planning to build the system yourselves or are you looking to have a system built? Since you're looking at the 4K range, I'd say definitely go with one of the 6 core Xenon's then. I know the previous gen stuff like the X5690 are just pure beasts. Granted it's also 1700 bucks just for the processor. I'm sure the new Xenon's that are showing up are beasts as well, I just don't have any first hand experience with them. If you're going pre-built I've worked at alot of places that use the Dell Workstation systems, and they've always been pretty damn solid. I just got set up on a new one at work, with 24 gigs of ram, and not sure which Xeon it has in it but I can let you know. Anyway that system is fucking fast!
    Where I play

8. Again, thanks for the help. We ended up going with a Dell Workstation with 2 six core Xenons and 48 gigs of RAM. Render time is at least twice as fast now. I'm quite happy.