Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Need Some Info on Gas Sales

I Need Some Info on Gas Sales

So I'm working on a short paper about BP. I have to relate the oil disaster to managerial econ.

We can pick the topic. I'd like to do it on social media. I want to connect the daily amount of negative tweets to decrease in profits. The tweets part is easy. They make third party software that will extract that for any given day.

The daily profits is not so easy to find. I can get yahoo finance to generate a list of stock prices by day, but I don't know if that will cut it.

Does anyone know of a way to get this data? I've googled a bunch of different terms and combination of terms and I get nothing but garbage. I can't help feel I'm missing something because I'm thinking like an engineer and not a business major.

2. I'm pretty sure if you're a share holder they have to make this info available, so shot in the dark but you could buy like one share of BP and request it.

Or find someone with BP stock?

Quote Originally Posted by Opaque View Post
    I'm pretty sure if you're a share holder they have to make this info available, so shot in the dark but you could buy like one share of BP and request it.

Or find someone with BP stock?
    Well, I think the quarterly profits are in the quarterly reports. And you can download those off of their website.

I need it by the day, going all the way back to April 20 th 2010. maybe a few days before.

4. The easy way is of course to modify your paper to compare stock prices (which does have a correlation to sales, both current and projected) since you've already found that, but that might not be an option.

I found daily fuel prices, if that ends up as any use to you.

Only spent 10 seconds on Google, heading to bed. I can try to help another day if you still need it

Quote Originally Posted by MechDeus View Post
    The easy way is of course to modify your paper to compare stock prices (which does have a correlation to sales, both current and projected) since you've already found that, but that might not be an option.
    I shot the teacher an email about this 3 or 4 hours ago. We haven't talked about stocks specifically, but there is a correlation. I pray that she green lights it. Stock prices are so much easier to find. And I think being able to correlate public opinion with stock price is kind of a neat idea. Most of the other groups are doing stuff like "draw up a business plan for a new gulf fishing company"

6. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    I need it by the day, going all the way back to April 20 th 2010. maybe a few days before.
    Yeah, the odds of that being public is about zero.

That is what I'm thinking.

I'd really settle for anything. Like daily fish sales or daily fish profits on the gulf. Just something that I can correlate with tweets and basic demand/profits/supply/etc econ.

Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    I shot the teacher an email about this 3 or 4 hours ago. We haven't talked about stocks specifically, but there is a correlation. I pray that she green lights it. Stock prices are so much easier to find. And I think being able to correlate public opinion with stock price is kind of a neat idea. Most of the other groups are doing stuff like "draw up a business plan for a new gulf fishing company"
    I have written a lot of papers that were full of lofty ideas, but poor communication, and these are the ones that were unsuccessful. It sounds like you are going in the right direction by plotting the relationship between two quantifiable variables. As long as you clearly explain how tweets are representative of public opinion, and how stocks are representative of a company's success, you should be on track. How is she grading it? Does she have clearly defined criteria for a successful paper? I have found that even the dullest papers can be successful as long as they satisfy the grading rubric.

Quote Originally Posted by Tones View Post
    How is she grading it? Does she have clearly defined criteria for a successful paper? I have found that even the dullest papers can be successful as long as they satisfy the grading rubric.
    I have no real idea. She only dedicated a few paragraphs to it in the syllabus and hasn't dedicated any real conversation to it. Give me your email and I'll send you a copy of the syllabus.

About all it says is "hey, choose a topic and write a 3 page businesses memorandum (whatever this is). Make sure it relates to class." I haven't been given any formatting rules or examples.
    Last edited by Fe 26; 11 Apr 2011 at 01:05 AM.

10. Well no matter what the case you need to switch up your approach. You could have picked to compare tweets to CEO bathroom breaks taken and you probably could have got the numbers you needed easier than day by day sales totals.

The stock idea is pretty solid, just fucking roll with that.