Page 21 of 597 FirstFirst ... 71719202122232535 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Xbox One Thread

1. Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    Don't games on demand ever have good deals?
    Absolutely not on 360. PS3 every once and a while if you're a PS+ member.
    Currently Playing: Final Fantasy V Pixel Remaster (PC), Let's Build a Zoo (PC) & Despot's Game (PC)

Get Free Bitcoins every hour! - www.freebitco.in

2. I don't really care for digital distribution yet for several reasons. It hasn't been all that much cheaper on consoles despite all the hype of no overhead, and I worry that it'll make things that much more difficult for historians down the line. I may well be wrong on that, but I shudder at the prospect of only being able to access a game if I have an internet connection.

Personally, I enjoy having games on my shelf. I still put a game in my Genesis, SNES, whatever and let the demo run while I read the manual and the back of the box. It's a physical connection to a period of my past of which I am quite fond, and that's completely gone with digital. Looking at the horrible 360 dashboard does nothing for me at all.

Proprietary consoles are dinosaurs that need to die too, so there is definitely a correlation between them and bad DD. Backward compatibility and the cartel pricing of digital content are largely mitigated with Steam and GOG, for example. You have to go pretty far back to find games that won't run on a current PC. And effort is constantly being made to expand the back library. For example, Thief Gold just became available on GoG.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Melf in 1912 View Post
    I don't really care for automobiles yet for several reasons. They aren't any cheaper than horse drawn carriages despite all the hype of no horse feed overhead, and I worry that it'll make things that much more difficult for historians down the line. I may well be wrong on that, but I shudder at the prospect of only being able to leave my house if I have a several gallons of fuel.

Personally, I enjoy looking at horses. I still go to stables and bask in the glow of the equine beauty contained within. It's a physical connection to a period of my past of which I am quite fond, and that's completely gone with motor wagons. Looking at the horrible Model-T does nothing for me at all.

Awesome. Histuerican imo.

6. Horsecock

7. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    Proprietary consoles are dinosaurs that need to die too, so there is definitely a correlation between them and bad DD.
    This is still true. Although I'm starting to think the non-proprietary console is going to grow out of an evolution of Android or some similar generic set-top computer device. I just don't see the software industry getting their shit together and unifying to make it happen with a dedicated console any time real soon.

EDIT: Honestly, in 10 years, it wouldn't surprise me if all your devices are just replaced by your phone, and it'll be able to wirelessly connect or dock with your TV, controllers, keyboard, mouse, monitor, etc. That or all those individual devices will run the same OS/software. Mobile tech is really catching up to home computing at an alarming rate, and home computing might be hitting a wall in a few years that will bring mobile even closer. You can already do 90% of the crap that the vast majority of people use their computers for on a phone. You really only need a PC for "real work" (graphics, video production, etc) and gaming at this point. How long before it can do those well enough for most consumers too?
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 31 Jan 2012 at 06:59 PM.

Totally agree with you.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Nash View Post
    I'm trying to imagine how this would be enforced if you don't have an internet connection. Unless an internet connection is required to even play anything at all.
    The disc goes in, and never comes out again.

10. Games will be made with the same technology used to deliver messages to Inspector Gadget.