Page 5 of 597 FirstFirst ... 34567919 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Xbox One Thread

1. I can't see both MS or Sony batting an eye at whatever Nintendo puts out. Rumors are that the next Nintendo console will be more powerful than the 360 (I sure fuckin hope it would be) and that the controllers will have built in screens (who the gives a rats ass about that?). Motion controls were the only thing that got the non gaming crowd to jump on the Wii. A screen in the controller (how expensive it that even going to be?) is not going to have the same effect. Granted, that is a rumor, but what else could Nintendo possibly have up its sleeve other than finally getting their ass in gear and going HD.

There is no reason for a next gen in the next 2 years. Graphics aren't going to take a huge leap yet. I really have no idea what to expect from next gen, but what I want isn't better graphics, but better netcode and bigger bandwidth/faster connections, which has more to do with ISP's than the console makers.

2. After getting their asses handed to them by Nintendo with outdated hardware you can bet they will both be batting an eye. The thing I really want to see with the new wave of hardware is less bottlenecks in the designs and a shit ton more ram. With just those improvements the PS3/360 would be able to do done amazing things.

With the new Wii and the NGP already being at E3 this show should be a good one. Any further info from MS or Sony would just be icing on the cake though I don't think we will really hear anything from them this year.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Glass Joe View Post
    After getting their asses handed to them by Nintendo with outdated hardware you can bet they will both be batting an eye.
    Maybe I just don't have the marketing brain to come up with anything, but what could Nintendo possibly do to keep the non gamers interested? Especially considering that motion controls aren't exclusive to Nintendo anymore.

4. I don't know that they have to. They will win over the core gamers with better specs and quality 3rd party support (quite a large task for Nintendo) and it's very possible that the clowns that bought the Wii for just Wii Sports and Carnival games will jump at the chance for new versions. I think those types might be more willing to show brand loyalty and stick with Nintendo instead of jumping ship.
    Last edited by Glass Joe; 07 May 2011 at 05:31 PM.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Glass Joe View Post
    I don't know that they have to. They will win over the core gamers with better specs and quality 3rd party support (quite a large task for Nintendo) and it's very possible that the clowns that bought the Wii for just Wii Sports and Carnival games will jump at the chance for new versions. I think those types might be more willing to show brand loyalty and stick with Nintendo instead of jumping ship.
    Kinect has done a pretty amazing job of grabbing the Wii crowd. A higher res Wii isn't going to grab them.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    This is true, but it takes more than 5 years to get there now. If the new Xbox came out last year, I don't think we'd be seeing enough of a leap to get people to upgrade when they look at, say Crysis 2 or Gears 3. To get the same kind of "progress" we have to wait a lot longer now.
    No it won't take 5 years. Yeah it may take a little longer for some people to notice a difference but there's going to be differences right off the bat. Next gen systems are going to have 2 - 4x the amount of ram and that's going to make a huge difference for open world games like Assassin's Creed, or GTA. Plus there's a HUGE difference between Crysis 2 running on a PC with all settings set to Max at 1920x1080 with a stable 60 fps, and how it runs on the 360.

There's also the inclusion of tessellation, and better lighting models, high res textures, and games ACTUALLY running in 720p minimum if not actually hitting 1080p. PC's could be destroying what the 360 and PS3 are able to do right now, the problem is that most devs have become console devs and aren't pushing the tech like they were. Give them better console hardware to work with and you're going to see stuff take big leaps.

Also anyone saying there won't be a resolution jump, remember right now we're lucky if a game actually runs at 720p with 30fps, next gen should see more games running at 1080p. Which to me is a fairly good sized jump. Going from 480p - 720p saw an increase of 576,000 pixels. Going from 720p - 1080p is an increase of 1,152,000 pixels. That's a lot more detail and a lot more information.

All the things people are saying about taking longer to see a difference, won't be able to tell a difference, there's no point for new hardware, etc etc is all the same shit people said going from the PS2/GC/Xbox generation to this one.

Come the time when the first of the next gen consoles hit at the middle to end of 2012 this generation is going to be 7 years old, it's time to put it to rest and move on to new hardware. I fully expect MS and Sony to have stuff out in 2013 which would push this generation to 8 years old, 2014 at the latest and thats 9 years old. That would also give Nintendo a full 2 year head start and I don't think MS or Sony want to let that happen, expect consoles from them with in 18 months of Nintendo's launch.

I think people are completely forgetting about the average consumer's need to buy the latest and greatest. Also if people think that one of the big three competitors announcing new hardware isn't going to push the other two into getting their systems out, you're either incredibly naive, or incredibly stupid.

Every console gen has seen the same "the average user can't tell the difference no one is going to buy it" bullshit, and every console gen has done fine.
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Shin Johnpv View Post
    No it won't take 5 years.
    I meant from the start of the gen. As in 2005. So it's already been 6.

And again, I'm not saying anything as hyperbolic as the difference isn't instantly noticeable, that was cheebs. But I'm saying it takes longer for the difference to get to where it'll be worth $400 to the average user. Used to be that took 5 years, now it's pushing 8, and eventually it'll be 10 before people think the difference has reached the point of being worth investing in all over. That's all.

I mean you work in CGI. I assume you've seen the Samaritan demo. Now the amount of processing power it takes to make high-end CGI is probably at least 100 times what Semaritan takes (and I am pulling that number out of my ass, but I know it's a lot). But that shit looks really close to CGI quality. So to get to that "next level" of real CGI quality, the system would have to be like 100 times more powerful, not like 4-5 times as Moore's law would allow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shin Johnpv View Post
    All the things people are saying about taking longer to see a difference, won't be able to tell a difference, there's no point for new hardware, etc etc is all the same shit people said going from the PS2/GC/Xbox generation to this one.
    And it was true then and it's even more true now. Every generation that passes this gets a little more and more true until now you see it actually affecting when the companies choose to release new hardware.

I mean why do you think they're waiting this time?
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 07 May 2011 at 06:07 PM.

8. It didn't take 6 years though for 360 games to not look like upressed Xbox games. It took the first batch of developed for the system games. Gears of War launched in 2006 a year after the 360 did and no one is going to confuse Gears of War for a PS2/GC/Xbox gen game. Come the first batch of non-moved over from last gen system games for the Cafe/PS4/720 and its going to be the same thing. I don't know where you're coming up with this 6 - 8 year time span, but it just isn't the case.

Yeah Samaritan looked really good, and software rendered CG is always going to look better than the real time stuff, since they're always going to be able to push things further. What's your point? What does it really have to do with today's discussion, that come when these consoles launch this generation is going to be 7 - 9 years old and its time for new hardware.

Come on now, are you seriously playing that angle? Nintendo is releasing a new Console at the 5 1/2 - 6 year mark, pretty much on schedule for a typical console generation. MS and Sony are trying to hold onto this gen because they were stupid and released consoles that lost them billions of dollars. They're both doing what ever they can to try and recoup that loss. It has nothing to do with ohhh we need 8 years to get good enough hardware, sure they may try and say that but its all bullshit. The truth of the mater is that both Sony and MS have only just become profitable in the last year or two. They went about this generation wrong and lost a shit ton of money from it.
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Shin Johnpv View Post
    It didn't take 6 years though for 360 games to not look like upressed Xbox games.
    I swear to god I never said anything remotely close to that. Please understand that I am not Cheebs and although I understood what he was trying to say, I didn't make my point with any such ridiculous hyperbole. I know that first gen 360 games still looked much better than Xbox 1 games. I'm just saying they looked "less better" than Xbox games did over PS1/Saturn games, and that trend continues with each passing gen.

You are completely, 1000% missing every aspect of my point. I'm just saying that hardware is progressing at a fairly constant rate, but perceptible value over the last gen decreases a bit with each passing generation as the perceptible visual quality delta narrows.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shin Johnpv View Post
    Come on now, are you seriously playing that angle? Nintendo is releasing a new Console at the 5 1/2 - 6 year mark, pretty much on schedule for a typical console generation.
    This is ignoring the fact that Nintendo released a last-gen console 5 years ago. That could have NEVER happened before. If they released the SNES 1 year into the PlayStation's reign, you think they would have sold jack shit?
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 07 May 2011 at 08:43 PM.

10. Dear Console Makers:

Please, please, please for the love of god, give the thing proper cooling. RROD's and YLOD's suck ass.

Love,

Wildkat.

P.S. "Proper Cooling" doesn't need to mean the thing sounds like a leaf blower while its running.
    “The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, you know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.” -George Carlin