Page 6 of 595 FirstFirst ... 2456781020 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 5948

Thread: Official Xbox One Thread

  1. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    This is ignoring the fact that Nintendo released a last-gen console 5 years ago. That could have NEVER happened before. If they released the SNES 1 year into the PlayStation's reign, you think they would have sold jack shit?
    Technically, Nintendo beat Sony to the punch in terms of the 10-year plan, since the Wii was a barely upgraded Gamecube. I'm curious if Nintendo will go for day-one profitability again by releasing a slightly upgraded PS3 tech-wise system.
    R.I.P. Paragon Studios

  2. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    I swear to god I never said anything remotely close to that. Please understand that I am not Cheebs and although I understood what he was trying to say, I didn't make my point with any such ridiculous hyperbole. I know that first gen 360 games still looked much better than Xbox 1 games. I'm just saying they looked "less better" than Xbox games did over PS1/Saturn games, and that trend continues with each passing gen.
    Then maybe you need to word shit better. Because in response to me saying that a good 360 game wouldn't be confused for an Xbox 1 game you said "This is true, but it takes more than 5 years to get there now. " Seems to me like you're saying it takes 5 years for that significance to show up, or did you forget what you said. Which it didn't for 360 games, and it won't take 5 years for 720 games. Sure each gen will show a little bit less of a jump than the previous one, but I don't think we're at the point where 8 - 10 year consoles are a good idea. 1080p is the new standard and none of the current gen hardware can really do 1080p well. Maybe at the tail end of next generation you'll see more of what you're talking about but not this gen. Not when you have major games running at barely above SD resolutions.

    You are completely, 1000% missing every aspect of my point. I'm just saying that hardware is progressing at a fairly constant rate, but perceptible value over the last gen decreases a bit with each passing generation as the perceptible visual quality delta narrows.
    Maybe then instead of talking around the issue, you actually said what you meant that might work better. I don't think we've hit the point where the visual quality delta has narrowed to the point where its going to take multiple years for a noticeable difference, or for consoles to have 8 - 10 year life spans.

    This is ignoring the fact that Nintendo released a last-gen console 5 years ago. That could have NEVER happened before. If they released the SNES 1 year into the PlayStation's reign, you think they would have sold jack shit?
    Its still a jump over the gamecube, and while its a more modest one, its more inline with the typical hardware jump. If the Wii had supported programmable shaders like the 360 and PS3 it would have faired graphically a lot better this generation, even at SD resolutions, well that and more ram. As a SD machine it wasn't bad. MS and Sony are the ones who shot for a 1.5 jump in hardware to attract the "hardcore" and its cost both of them billions and billions of dollars. That's why both of them are trying to delay a next generation. They're desperately trying to recoup all the money they've lost now that their consoles have finally become profitable. Not because they future proofed the hardware so much it can last 10 years, cause it can't. Honestly thanks to their hardware and so many western PC devs becoming western console devs PC game engines have been held back.

    All of this though is besides the point. The fact of the matter is that come 2012/13/14 it'll be time for new consoles to launch, regardless of the narrowing visual quality delta. Honestly the bigger problem facing console devs is how power hungry and hot current gen PC GPUs have gotten. You're not going to see a fermi based or an HD6XXX solution in any of the next gen consoles. These things draw like 350+ watts under load and create an insane amount of heat. MS/Sony would be incredibly stupid to try and use one of those parts in a console. Specially after how bad the RROD were. I've heard Xenos had a >100watt TDP and that was supposedly a huge cause of the RROD because it just wasn't cooled well at all.
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

  3. Quote Originally Posted by Shin Johnpv View Post
    Maybe then instead of talking around the issue, you actually said what you meant that might work better. I don't think we've hit the point where the visual quality delta has narrowed to the point where its going to take multiple years for a noticeable difference, or for consoles to have 8 - 10 year life spans.
    I very clearly stated that what I was talking about was not a "noticeable difference" but a "difference worth $400." I do feel like that requires a little more of a technology boost every gen. That's the point I'm trying to make. If my wording implied otherwise, I'm sorry. I do feel like eventually 5 years worth of technology gains won't be all that noticeable to the casual observer, but I would certainly never intentionally imply that we're there yet.

  4. I don't believe anyone saying the improvements will be marginal. Taking all limitations off the sandbox developers have to play in will obviously breed better, more defined results. Good, creative and technically sound developers will always push the limits.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

  5. Quote Originally Posted by Shin Johnpv View Post

    Its still a jump over the gamecube, and while its a more modest one, its more inline with the typical hardware jump. If the Wii had supported programmable shaders like the 360 and PS3 it would have faired graphically a lot better this generation, even at SD resolutions, well that and more ram. As a SD machine it wasn't bad. MS and Sony are the ones who shot for a 1.5 jump in hardware to attract the "hardcore" and its cost both of them billions and billions of dollars. That's why both of them are trying to delay a next generation. They're desperately trying to recoup all the money they've lost now that their consoles have finally become profitable. Not because they future proofed the hardware so much it can last 10 years, cause it can't. Honestly thanks to their hardware and so many western PC devs becoming western console devs PC game engines have been held back.
    The 360 and PS3 are no more "1.5." jumps than the Wii is. You can't possibly put them in the same category even. Is there a Wii game that makes you say "no way those visuals could be done on GC"? I can't think of any, but I can think of lots of 360 and PS3 games that in no way could be done on the Xbox 1 and PS2.

    The jump in hardware wasn't the problem with the 360 and PS3. MS had other factors holding it back, like shit console design, and Sony had its head up its ass for over a year. Nintendo managed to distract people from the minimal hardware jump with waggle controls. Now that waggling isn't a novelty anymore, all of a sudden Nintendo found better hardware and knows HD! Coincidence?

  6. Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 weren't being done on the Xbox or PS2. Argue semantics all you want but the basic of the argument doesn't change. Also Nintendo always said they would pursue HD when it had a larger install base. Ohh hey the install base is there now and their new console is going to support the Wiimote and HD.

    Part of the reason MS had shit console design was because they tried to use an over 100Watt TDP chip in a console with out crazy cooling, and Sony didn't have its head up its ass for over a year it had a 600 dollar console that cost it 800+ to make.
    Last edited by Shin Johnpv; 08 May 2011 at 02:21 AM.
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

  7. Quote Originally Posted by Shin Johnpv View Post
    Sony didn't have its head up its ass for over a year it had a 600 dollar console
    I think it could be argued that these are one and the same. Granted, they won the HD format war, but still.
    Quote Originally Posted by C.S. Lewis
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

  8. Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    I think it could be argued that these are one and the same. Granted, they won the HD format war, but still.
    Well sure, you could definitely take it that way. Though I don't think that's what Melf was speaking of head up ass wise.
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

  9. Mario Galaxy can be done on the GC. I don't see anything so amazing (graphically) that can't be done on my Keurig coffee machine.

  10. Yeah, Mario Galaxy looks much better than anything on the GC, but that doesn't mean a reasonable approximation couldn't be done on the GC, since the Wii doesn't really have any rendering features the GC doesn't just a faster clock.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Games.com logo