Page 7 of 597 FirstFirst ... 3567891121 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Xbox One Thread

1. I think we are still 2 or 3 years away from the new systems.

Though maybe Nintendo could force everyone into action a little early if they throw their new system out there in a year and it sells well.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Glass Joe View Post
    I don't know that they have to.
    They do, Nintendo stated this was a problem for them with the Wii. They attracted a large audience of people who bought the system, maybe one game, and then never touched it again. That's really neat for Nintendo themselves making a profit off the system sale, but earned them very little on-going money from third parties and licensing sales.

3. That was why I posted what I did about the addition of better 3rd party support. They can potentially solve those issues by finding a way to better support their 3rd parties so they can be profitable on a Nintendo machine. With any luck the the rest would just fall into place.

4. It's still too early for a new console. I'm happy with PS3/360/PC.

MS and Sony should've considered RAM expansion carts. Even the PC-Engine CD (look at the Arcade Card and its amazing Fatal Fury 2/Special & Art of Fighting conversions, you'd almost forget it's a PCE you're playing on) and N64 did that.

A 4GB RAM expansion for the 360 sounds nice, but I don't think it'll happen. Such capability would be nice to see in the next gen. Extra RAM enhanced games should be scalable, so that some features like extreme quality textures would be disabled on the stock system.

There needs to be tighter QC on the new system's early releases. Like Sega Rally 2 on Dreamcast, the 360 port of Quake 4 should not have been allowed to go gold with such lousy framerates. The target framerate on games should be 60 and not 30 this time. Resolutions like 2560x1600 are overkill IMO- I'm fine with 1600x1000 or 1920x1200.

Xbox Next's graphics hardware needs to be at least in line with one of the upcoming GeForce 600 Kepler GPUs.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Glass Joe View Post
    That was why I posted what I did about the addition of better 3rd party support. They can potentially solve those issues by finding a way to better support their 3rd parties so they can be profitable on a Nintendo machine. With any luck the the rest would just fall into place.

People buy Nintendo consoles, for Nintendo's games.

Nintendo's consoles haven't had great 3rd party support since the SNES, and when they got it with the Wii, there were too many titles that looked the same. It really reminded me of the 2600, right before the console crash. Nintendo pretty much let anyone and everyone release garbage on their console. There was no seal of approval for this generation of Nintendo console games.

6. Ram upgrade is a good idea on paper, but terrible in executiion. Very few games will take advantage of it. The most successful one I can think of is the Saturn 1/4 meg upgrade.

7. Quote Originally Posted by gameoverDude View Post
    MS and Sony should've considered RAM expansion carts. Even the PC-Engine CD (look at the Arcade Card and its amazing Fatal Fury 2/Special & Art of Fighting conversions, you'd almost forget it's a PCE you're playing on) and N64 did that.
    Unless the game you're playing with instantly scale down they won't go this route. One of the big selling priorities of consoles is convenience. People can sit down, put a game in and play. They don't have to restart or really DO anything (except maybe wait for the system to restart for them!). And people love it. Start adding in all of these additional modules and it starts becoming too complicated. Isn't that why devs didn't take the hard drive in to account? They always build to the lowest common denominator.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

8. Quote Originally Posted by gameoverDude View Post

There needs to be tighter QC on the new system's early releases. Like Sega Rally 2 on Dreamcast, the 360 port of Quake 4 should not have been allowed to go gold with such lousy framerates. The target framerate on games should be 60 and not 30 this time. Resolutions like 2560x1600 are overkill IMO- I'm fine with 1600x1000 or 1920x1200.

Xbox Next's graphics hardware needs to be at least in line with one of the upcoming GeForce 600 Kepler GPUs.
    You will never see large-scale embracing of 60 fps because an extra layer of spiffy mapping can make print ads and Youtube promos look real nice. 60 fps can't.

And who is targetting 2560 x 1600? Most console games these days are between 600p and 720p.

But I'd be down with RAM carts. It worked great on the Saturn and PCE.

9. Everything needs to be 60fps and 1920x1080 on the next set of consoles, no exceptions.

10. It's sad that just about the only thing that isn't being stolen from Modern Warfare in every other game these days is that wonderful framerate.