Page 8 of 597 FirstFirst ... 46789101222 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Xbox One Thread

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    People buy Nintendo consoles, for Nintendo's games.
    I bought a Nintendo console for Nintendo games once. It was the N64, and it was a terrible decision. The NES, SNES, and Wii should have had Konami logos on them. The GameCube was a mishmash, but Capcom was probably its most important publisher.

2. Quote Originally Posted by gameoverDude View Post
    Xbox Next's graphics hardware needs to be at least in line with one of the upcoming GeForce 600 Kepler GPUs.

Yeah that's not even coming close to happening.
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

It could. That would still put it at least a year out of date by the time it actually launches.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    It could. That would still put it at least a year out of date by the time it actually launches.
    Unless MS is granted magical powers to break the laws of thermodynamics then no it can't. You are not going to be able to take a chip that uses 350+ watts at load and get it under 100 watts at load in 12 - 18 months. It is not happening.

I'll say it again, anyone expecting a fermi based chip, or anything higher than a mid range 5xxx AMD chip in the next gen consoles is going to be incredibly disappointed. Its not just cause but those chips draw too much power. They're not going to be able to take chips that draw 350+ watts under load and get them under 100 watts in the next 12 - 18 months.
    Where I play
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

He said in line with though not those exact chips. At some point someone is going to have to figure out how to get similar horsepower with less electrical power. You're probably right about timing though. The next generation is going to suck more than this one.

6. Quote Originally Posted by kingoffighters View Post
    Ram upgrade is a good idea on paper, but terrible in executiion. Very few games will take advantage of it. The most successful one I can think of is the Saturn 1/4 meg upgrade.
    Capcom's RAM upgrade fighter ports were all good. Shame SNK refused to use a 4MB cart on KOF'97. That game really cried out for it with missing sounds and dropped frames- even the Neo CD still held the advantage here with 7MB. Saturn probably could have handled SFIII NG with a 12MB RAM cart- maybe even 2I & 3S. Tekken Tag Tournament 2 won't use System 357- it's on System 359 which I imagine probably has double the RAM of PS3. Maybe more.

I'm agreeing with cigs: 1080i compatible and 60 FPS all the way on Xbox Next and PS4. I'll sacrifice texture quality (e.g. down from Extreme to Very High), some lighting, or a little geometry before frame rate.

Thirty FPS can be enough to get by with for this gen if it's solid with no long dips into the teens or low 20s. At least the 360 F.E.A.R. 2 runs at a rock solid 30. The next gen of consoles needs to be able to run maxed-out Crysis 1 in 1920x1200@60 - and then some.

Kepler or its ATI counterpart for a GPU and no less than 6GB RAM, or GTFO.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    He said in line with though not those exact chips. At some point someone is going to have to figure out how to get similar horsepower with less electrical power. You're probably right about timing though. The next generation is going to suck more than this one.
    Yeah at some point it'll happen, is it going to be in the next 12 - 18 months when the PS4 and 720 are going to have to be finalized in order to be released by 2013/2014? No, no way in hell. Nvidia and AMD are pouring billions of dollars into trying to solve this. Do you really think they want to release chips that run at such high temps, that need jet engine fans to keep cool? There definitely needs to be a breakthrough in GPU tech, a different way of approaching things. That's not going to happen in time for the next gen consoles though.

Quote Originally Posted by gameoverDude View Post
    Kepler or its ATI counterpart for a GPU and no less than 6GB RAM, or GTFO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shin Johnpv View Post
    Where I play

Also, don't be naive enough to think that 3D won't play a major part in the next generation, so keep that in mind when you think about frame rates. Frankly what they need to do is give console games video options like PC games. Make the default what Joe Gamestop would want (high detail but 17 fps) but allow people with a clue to prioritize fps by turning V-sync off, AA off, or whatever.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Shin Johnpv View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shin Johnpv View Post
    I'll say it again, anyone expecting a fermi based chip, or anything higher than a mid range 5xxx AMD chip in the next gen consoles is going to be incredibly disappointed.
    You say Fermi here, but gameoverDude said Kepler, which IS capable of Fermi-like performance at 100 watts and will be out this year. Kepler's processing powerper watt is 3 times Fermi's. And Maxwell, which will be ready in 2013 looks to about triple that.

I see no reason why what gameoverDude said isn't entirely possible, even probable, if not downright conservative if we're assuming a 2013 roll out. And since dev kits don't need final hardware, they can push pretty much up to the wire as far as GPU availability goes, as they have in the past. You don't need a 100 watt power consumption for a dev kit, as long as it's delivering performance and architecture comparable to final hardware.

The core used in the Xbox's chip didn't make it to consumer cards until like 5 months after the Xbox was out, mind you. It was not something that was pulled off the shelves 18 months ahead of time because it had to be "finalized in time." It's entirely possible we could see something 3 times more powerful than today's high end GeForces that run at 100 Watts in a console that launches in 2013.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 09 May 2011 at 03:09 PM.

The only thing I want the next Xbox to have is a decent digital pad.