Page 15 of 597 FirstFirst ... 1113141516171929 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Xbox One Thread

1. Yah, fuck that if I have to buy physical goods but no used games.

2. For those that don't want to give IGN traffic, and have CONGRATULATIONS! YOU WON! blare from their speakers:

"Rumor has it the next-generation Xbox may limit exactly what kind of games you're allowed to play. According to sources speaking to Kotaku, the Xbox 360's successor will have some kind of anti-used-game enforcement. There's no explanation of what that means, but speculation surrounding the issue says the console could outright reject used-games altogether.

LA Noire used an online pass this generation. Would you buy an Xbox 3 if you couldn't play its sequel used?

Online passes are a recent staple in staving off used sales. Limiting what used buyers can access is a protective measure for publishers, much to the chagrin of parts of the gaming community. Chris Kohler of Wired argues that the death of used games is inevitable, and passes are the first step toward something exactly like a native anti-used game something integrated into consoles. He notes, of course, that digital is the future of buying games, but in the meantime we may be looking at "an interim period in which the disc as a delivery method is still around but...becomes more like a PC game, which are sold with one-time-use keys that grant one owner a license to play the game on his machine."

For all we know, if this is legitimate, such a theoretical link between a Gamertag and new game would simply negate the need for online pass redemption codes in every game. This alleged feature comes alongside talks that the Xbox 3 will also turn to blu-ray for its primary format.

Until Microsoft officially unveils details about its much-rumored new device, we're relying on speculation with strong rhetoric to figure out the future of gaming. Would a console permanently banning of used-games be a deal-breaker for you?"

3. If this is true, then that's one console I won't be buying.

Gah, the direction the industry is taking is becoming less and less appealing to me. Eventually, I'm going to be like the AVGN and just play old shit all the time.

4. Are they trying to kill rental services as well?

5. Didn't they say something similar about the PS3 before it launched?

Sorry, but there's just no way they'd fuck over one of their biggest retailers by doing this. And it would create headaches for people that actually did buy new copies (for example, a friend and I trade games for a couple weeks on a pretty regular basis).
    Last edited by No One; 26 Jan 2012 at 04:53 PM.

6. If the new OS runs Steam and they add console games to their sales, we'll talk.

7. Your friend and yourself are ripping the poor publishers off!

They could require internet access, and mate a game's invididual ID to a Live account.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    Your friend and yourself are ripping the poor publishers off!
    We feel really bad about it, too.

10. If this is partly true, I am sure there is a lot that isn't being said, so I will wait until any official announcement to take any of this seriously.

As it is now, the online code just means people need to wait a little longer to by used to make the price difference worth it. I also don't hear PC players crying about the lack of a used market. A lot of them buy digital anyways. People seem to love Live Arcade games and there is no resell there. It is nice to be able to get a little money back for your used games. I'm a little biased these days, as I very rarely by games these days, and those I do buy are ones I consider Day 1 purchases.