Page 16 of 597 FirstFirst ... 21214151617182030 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Xbox One Thread

1. PC players get heavy fucking discounts within a few months (if not weeks) of a title's release.
    I hear there is an issue with pirating as well.

2. And they do complain pretty regularly about DRM, finite installs, and their inability to get refunds/trade-in credit. Please see Bioware and/or Bethesda's forums for (often amusing) examples.

Edit: I'm not shitting on PC gamers, btw. Most of my gaming is done on PC, so I'm aware of what a pain in the ass it can be.
    Last edited by No One; 26 Jan 2012 at 05:09 PM.

3. I think the system will eat the games so you can't used them again.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    Are they trying to kill rental services as well?
    The industry has wanted to do that since Nintendo sued Blockbuster in the early 90's.
    Last edited by Timber; 26 Jan 2012 at 06:16 PM.
    Currently Playing: Final Fantasy V Pixel Remaster (PC), Let's Build a Zoo (PC) & Despot's Game (PC)

Get Free Bitcoins every hour! - www.freebitco.in

5. Tripping over dollars for dimes imo. I guarantee blockbuster, gamefly, and whoever else rents this shit buys more games than would be sold if no one was allowed to rent. I have many customers who won't buy a game unless they rented it first. So if they knock that ability out, they just won't buy certain games at all, or wait until they've price dropped.
    Last edited by Some Stupid Japanese Name; 26 Jan 2012 at 06:51 PM. Reason: than than? wtf.

6. That's the thing, the publishers are retarded and can't seem to wrap their heads around the fact that rentals and used games actually HELP their game sales.

It's pretty fucking amazing.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

Well, if this ends up being true, I'm not buying this system. It's as simple as that.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilMog View Post
    Screw being smart. This is TNL.

8. I found this on Destructoid.
    "EA is the originator of the online pass system, which the company began in 2010. The publisher has made $10-15 million from online pass downloads since its introduction. It claims the Online Pass is needed to manage server costs for the online title it’s used for. Publishers don’t earn any profits from customers who buy used copies of games. EA is expected to earn $4.1 billion this year."

Those online passes sure making a huge contribution to their bottom line. Granted $15 million dollars for nothing ain't exactly nothing, but c'mon. It's a pittance compared to the negative advertising think space that the initiative has created.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I found this on Destructoid.
    "EA is the originator of the online pass system, which the company began in 2010. The publisher has made $10-15 million from online pass downloads since its introduction. It claims the Online Pass is needed to manage server costs for the online title it’s used for. Publishers don’t earn any profits from customers who buy used copies of games. EA is expected to earn $4.1 billion this year."

Those online passes sure making a huge contribution to their bottom line. Granted $15 million dollars for nothing ain't exactly nothing, but c'mon. It's a pittance compared to the negative advertising think space that the initiative has created.
    I never understood the hate for the online pass. Though, I know GS did lower the price of some used games that had it to offset the difference, though I am not sure they are still doing that. I know when it first started, you just had to wait a little longer for the price difference to be worth it. Of course, buying new doesn't cost you extra at all.

10. Quote Originally Posted by No One View Post
    And they do complain pretty regularly about DRM, finite installs, and their inability to get refunds/trade-in credit. Please see Bioware and/or Bethesda's forums for (often amusing) examples.

Edit: I'm not shitting on PC gamers, btw. Most of my gaming is done on PC, so I'm aware of what a pain in the ass it can be.
    I know I complain about that. If I buy a game on Steam, I'll make sure any 3rd party DRM is either axed or absent before buying it. This is one of my favorite pages on that subject. TG Bethesda is shying away from 3rd party DRM recently- Rage and Skyrim use Steamworks only. I didn't touch Zeit2 until recently, when it was revealed that the Tages Solidshield DRM on that one got blown away by the publisher.

The next Xbox needs an AMD GPU that can compete with the Nvidia Maxwells (7XX series). Kepler class GPUs will likely be old tech by the time the console hits. Mouse and keyboard would be a plus- hell, maybe even make an optional 1-hander similar to the PSMove Navigation Controller that can be used with M&K.

I wouldn't mind seeing $30 singleplayer/campaign/arcade mode only versions of games on offer, with the extra modes (Spec Ops, multiplayer, etc) made available by paid DLC. Not everyone gives a rat's ass about MP or other extras. The "all extras on disc" version could then be sold as part of a Collector's Edition. With the $30 version you could then resell the main game disc but not the extras, and your trade-in value would be hurt (probably giving you $10 instead of $25)- but this is IMO a better solution than an outright ban on used games. Some people will just blaze through the campaign mode of a game and write the rest of it off.

If the new console rejects used games, I see it withering unless Microsoft would release a patch to fix that. Let's not make console gamers futz with CD keys and such shit.