Page 19 of 597 FirstFirst ... 51517181920212333 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Xbox One Thread

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Wouldn't this mean that a specific copy would be locked to a specific console?
    No, your games would be linked to your account, just like they are now from companies that are worth even half a shit. I can play a game I bought on the PSN on my PS3, my PSP, or soon my Vita because the consoles are registered under my account. The only company that does not do this is Nintendo and it's horrible.

Wouldn't it prevent any kind of borrowing?
    Yes, they don't care about that.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

2. I don't care much about this ballyhooing against downloadable titles. People who buy 1500 games a year don't play them all anyway. All this will do is make them more selective with their downloads and purchase decisions. I will absolutely miss being able to trade in old games for new ones as I've taken up that habit in the last few years. But would I have bought those new games without the old ones to leverage anyway? No. 100% no. In this regard the gaming industry is just curtailing its own success a little bit.

Things balance out.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

3. Downloadable stuff is so much cheaper that I don't think I'd miss discs at all.
    When a physical game goes on sale, I might be lucky enough to grab a copy if I feel like running around town to find one, or ordering online and waiting (and hoping) for it to be delivered to my house.
    When a downloadable game goes on sale, everyone can get a copy with no fuss.

I'm pretty sure that developers would take more risks if the manufacturing overhead of physical games were removed completely.

I have not opened a game manual in years, and game cases sit on a shelf in my closet. I'd prefer never to get either again. And I sure as hell don't want all that crap to eventually wind up in a landfill, and it clearly will. Think about the fact that everything in every GameStop on earth is eventually going to be dumped somewhere at some point. And there's absolutely no reason. The 20th Century is over. Physical media is a dinosaur waiting for a meteor.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    I have not opened a game manual in years, and game cases sit on a shelf in my closet. I'd prefer never to get either again. And I sure as hell don't want all that crap to eventually wind up in a landfill, and it clearly will. Think about the fact that everything in every GameStop on earth is eventually going to be dumped somewhere at some point. And there's absolutely no reason. The 20th Century is over. Physical media is a dinosaur waiting for a meteor.
    You are so wrong. IP is waiting to buy up all this crap to store in his house.

I wouldn't mind digital distribution if it were run like Steam, but MS is more likely to leave most things at $59.99 forever.

Steam console please.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    My main hang up is that I like old games and I like to have a somewhat permanent archive of all my games that I can access for as long as the hardware to play those games exists. I'm sonething of a game historian I don't like the idea of games being lost forever after their hardware is gone because there's no physical copy. I already worry about this with XBLA stuff.

8. Well, the corporate machine doesn't care about stuff it has finished selling. It's an issue, but it's not an issue that anyone with power cares about.

Quote Originally Posted by kingoffighters View Post
    You are so wrong. IP is waiting to buy up all this crap to store in his house.
    lol.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    My main hang up is that I like old games and I like to have a somewhat permanent archive of all my games that I can access for as long as the hardware to play those games exists. I'm sonething of a game historian I don't like the idea of games being lost forever after their hardware is gone because there's no physical copy. I already worry about this with XBLA stuff.
    Everything that's ever been released on XBLA is out there if you know where to look.
    A file that can be copied from one medium to another without error or loss is a far better archival format than an optical disc that will turn into a useless coaster after a couple of decades.

Amen to that.