Page 13 of 396 FirstFirst ... 911121314151727 ... LastLast

Thread: Official PlayStation 4 Thread

Quote Originally Posted by GohanX View Post
    Do you really think a $600 system would sell? I mean, as much as I'd like for Neo Geo CD 2.0 to happen, it would fail hard.
    It depends on your definition of failure. Every console they sell in my model would make them profit immediately. They wouldn't have to gamble on recouping costs through software licenses. Do you think a $600 system where all the games are $20 would fail to go to an extreme?

Quote Originally Posted by TobalRox View Post
    Wasn't the PS3 $600 when it came out?
    Quote Originally Posted by Joust Williams View Post
    Yes, and no one bought it despite it being the successor to the most successful "dedicated gaming" machine in the history of the universe. And then, think of XBox Live. Even if PSN was on par with XBL in features, userbase, etc, people would still pay for the cheaper system and the subscription. No, not everyone, of course, but that's besides the point.
    The 360 being on the market first had a lot more to do with that than the price. And the games were still way too expensive on both consoles.

3. It is convenient to say that the timing of the launch dictated what the price for the consoles should have been, but I don't think that you can launch something and set whatever price you want because people are going to compare it to something, whether it be products of that type in the past, the most similar products of that type in the present, or simply what kind of disposable income they currently have. I *do* think that a 600 dollar console could sell, but I think it would be more than a traditional console. Which is what you want anyway.

I agree with you there. Everything has to demonstrate value at whatever price is being asked.

Quote Originally Posted by Nash View Post
    You want another system that takes forever to load games?
    I was referring to the fact that at release it was an expensive, powerful system that had cheap games as a selling point. Back in the day you didn't really give a shit that it took forever to load since you didn't pay $300 for a Neo cart.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilMog View Post
    Screw being smart. This is TNL.

6. My point was that the PS3 didn't sell well. I feel that the price had more to do with it than the Xbox being out because of the fact that, as mentioned, it was a followup to the most successful system... people WANTED a PS3... then the price kept them away.
    Check out my blog: ExHardcoreGamer.com

7. Quote Originally Posted by TobalRox View Post
    My point was that the PS3 didn't sell well. I feel that the price had more to do with it than the Xbox being out because of the fact that, as mentioned, it was a followup to the most successful system... people WANTED a PS3... then the price kept them away.
    This is definitely true, and the PS3 was sold at a MAJOR loss. If they followed Yoshi's model the PS3 would have released at some where around 849.99 - 899.99. If you though the console sold bad at 599.99, imagine it at 300 dollars more. You would pretty much kill the consoles sales. Even if you said games would only be 20 - 30 on it, I don't think it would sway people. So many people just wait till games hit that low anyway. The only way a console not sold for a loss would work is if the used less expensive hardware in it, and went for more modest bumps. Personally, I'd rather buy a new $300 system every 5 years, than a $600+ system every 10. You want some crazy ass $1000 machine, with cheaper games, build a PC.

The real problem is publishers. They take too large of a cut of a games sales, the developer needs to start getting a larger slice. They also need to stop with yearly releases, there's no incentive to keep Call of Duty X, when Call of Duty Y just came out. None of your friends are going to be playing the old one. It's what would typically happen to every single sports game out there, because of the yearly release schedule. Span out those games more, and I'd wager more people will keep them.

There are so many things they could be doing, instead they want to fuck over consumers, and take our rights away. Which it seems most gamers are more than willing to do. For all the people on this board and others that are saying if the PS4 or 720 don't allow used games I won't buy those systems, I guarantee 3/4 of those people buy them anyway. All it'll take is Uncharted 4, or Gears of War 4, and they'll be lined up at the stores for them.
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

Quote Originally Posted by TobalRox View Post
    My point was that the PS3 didn't sell well. I feel that the price had more to do with it than the Xbox being out because of the fact that, as mentioned, it was a followup to the most successful system... people WANTED a PS3... then the price kept them away.
    How many people on this site went from mainly playing on PS2 to mainly playing on 360 simply because they had a 360 first? The decision had been largely made, consciously or not, before the PS3 even launched. People got hooked on Achievements and XBLA games and weren't willing to start over, regardless of price.

Quote Originally Posted by Shin Johnpv View Post
    This is definitely true, and the PS3 was sold at a MAJOR loss. If they followed Yoshi's model the PS3 would have released at some where around 849.99 - 899.99. If you though the console sold bad at 599.99, imagine it at 300 dollars more. You would pretty much kill the consoles sales. Even if you said games would only be 20 - 30 on it, I don't think it would sway people. So many people just wait till games hit that low anyway. The only way a console not sold for a loss would work is if the used less expensive hardware in it, and went for more modest bumps. Personally, I'd rather buy a new $300 system every 5 years, than a $600+ system every 10. You want some crazy ass $1000 machine, with cheaper games, build a PC.
    They should stop catering to the slow adopters, and if these rumors are true, they're headed in that direction. I want the $600 system every three years frankly. But, as you said, that's why I play the majority of games on PC. The problem is that the console cycles hold the PC back big time. What is essentially the PS4's GPU is available today on PC, but there aren't any games that need it because of the slow ass console generations.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    How many people on this site went from mainly playing on PS2 to mainly playing on 360 simply because they had a 360 first? The decision had been largely made, consciously or not, before the PS3 even launched. People got hooked on Achievements and XBLA games and weren't willing to start over, regardless of price.
    I don't really remember what people were saying back then, but I know that everyone in my circle (so small population, not saying this is everyone) stayed away because of the price. There were a couple friends I knew who got it at launch because they had to have a Playstation even though they already had an Xbox. Once the price dropped my friends who waited still didn't get one because they played it at the house of those that got it at launch and they hated it.
    Check out my blog: ExHardcoreGamer.com