Page 16 of 396 FirstFirst ... 21214151617182030 ... LastLast

Thread: Official PlayStation 4 Thread

1. Eh. You'd want developers to go beyond DirectX after a year or two, to start extracting all that gooey hardware goodness that PC games never touch.

Do they still do that? I thought a lot of that had gone by the wayside in favor of middleware these days.

Pretty much. I still don't think most games are really tapping the PS3 at this point. The best possible design in the current development climate is to make a powerful PC-like system so the designers can delight in their middleware tools, and it seems that Sony has done just that.

I suppose it's possible Naughty Dog is doing Assembly-like stuff. They have to be about it on PS3 though.

It seems like Uncharted and MGS4 are the only games I've played that really stand out compared to 360 games on the system, everything else is designed around the lowest common denominator. Since developers can't be bothered to program for a system anymore, hopefully the PS4 will have the brute strength to at least run the games at a consistant 60 FPS.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    Do they still do that? I thought a lot of that had gone by the wayside in favor of middleware these days.
    On the PS3, definitely (think SPUs). On 360, not so much, which is why the system kind of leveled out at Gears of War while PS3 has done Uncharted 2, etc.

Most developers obviously prefer middleware but you do want the real talented studios to get in there and work on it themselves. I am sure the PS4 will have that capability.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    More seemingly specific details are emerging around the APU and GPU, AMD's A8-3850 APU and Radeon HD 7670 GPU to be precise. I read a rumor yesterday that the PS4 will use DirectX, which is wild and awesome if true. It could be treated just like a weaker PC at that point, and the PC versions wouldn't have to suffer.
    I would doubt it'll run on DirectX. It'll most likely use a varient of OpenGL just like the PS3 does.
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

So that half-joking cable box conversation we were having in the PS3 thread that really should have been in this thread? Less funny now.

Whats the problem there?

Considering my hate for Time Warner and the dish providers, this would be welcome.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilMog View Post
    Screw being smart. This is TNL.