Page 17 of 396 FirstFirst ... 31315161718192131 ... LastLast

Thread: Official PlayStation 4 Thread

I'm not a fan of this set top box bullshit. I have no issue with the potential service. I just wish we were getting more rumors about games and gaming functionality and less about everything else.

Back to the 90's with you. Back!

3. Isn't this pretty much another obvious step toward the endgame that Microsoft and Sony are hoping to achieve; to be the sole provider of all your computing and multimedia needs through a single device/hub located in the living room? I'm rooting for Valve.
    ...because without the bitter, baby, the sweet ain't as sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by Gondolin View Post
    Isn't this pretty much another obvious step toward the endgame that Microsoft and Sony are hoping to achieve; to be the sole provider of all your computing and multimedia needs through a single device/hub located in the living room? I'm rooting for Valve.
    Yes and yes.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Gondolin View Post
    Isn't this pretty much another obvious step toward the endgame that Microsoft and Sony are hoping to achieve; to be the sole provider of all your computing and multimedia needs through a single device/hub located in the living room? I
    I really hope that's not what they are trying to achieve, because it's a terrible idea and will never happen.

Markets and consumer demands change far too quickly for one company to handle. Both companies have learned that the hard way.

6. I don't know how I feel about it. On the one hand, I tend to agree. But on the other, maybe that's just me resisting the idea because I'm used to things as they are. And it isn't so far-fetched. I mean, if I HAD to I could get away with ditching my PC and cable box right now and just using my PS3 for everything. Admittedly the experience would suck, but I can envision a not-too-distant future where someone releases a set top box that does what the PS3 does well and improves exponentially on what it doesn't (web browsing, for example). And I could see a company like Valve taking the risk and successfully releasing such a product, probably in a way that we haven't even thought of.

Anyway I remember reading somewhere, and this was years ago (maybe it was speculation), that Microsoft's ulterior motive for entering the console market was to establish a presence in the living room so that, a few generations down the line, they could make a Windows machine/hub that the whole family would use in lieu of the various devices that had, at the time, cluttered our homes. Now if this is true or not I dunno, but Sony seems to have this same idea and the technology does look to be heading in that direction. *shrug*

7. Quote Originally Posted by Gondolin View Post
    I don't know how I feel about it. On the one hand, I tend to agree. But on the other, maybe that's just me resisting the idea because I'm used to things as they are. And it isn't so far-fetched. I mean, if I HAD to I could get away with ditching my PC and cable box right now and just using my PS3 for everything. Admittedly the experience would suck, but I can envision a not-too-distant future where someone releases a set top box that does what the PS3 does well and improves exponentially on what it doesn't (web browsing, for example). And I could see a company like Valve taking the risk and successfully releasing such a product, probably in a way that we haven't even thought of.
    The idea that one company will release something like a PS3 but better implies that is what people want and what they will want. I see no evidence for this.

Right now most people use Netflix on their 360 but Netflix is everywhere, nobody is going to buy a new MS system to run Netflix. Nobody even knows if Netflix will be relevant in five years.

Quote Originally Posted by Gondolin View Post
    Anyway I remember reading somewhere, and this was years ago (maybe it was speculation), that Microsoft's ulterior motive for entering the console market was to establish a presence in the living room so that, a few generations down the line, they could make a Windows machine/hub that the whole family would use in lieu of the various devices that had, at the time, cluttered our homes. Now if this is true or not I dunno, but Sony seems to have this same idea and the technology does look to be heading in that direction. *shrug*
    Yea, and they probably said that in 2001. Think about the market in 2001. DVDs were really popular. There was no iPhone or Android. No IPad. Not even iPod. Most people used desktops in their bedroom or office with big fat CRTs. Hell wi-fi wasn't really a thing.

Anybody, even most of MS, can tell you that they have done a spectacularly bad job of responding to all this - not just responding, but envisioning. Why should anyone think they will be even better over the next 11 years to the point that they will deliver the true living room box that gives everyone what they need?
    Last edited by Diff-chan; 05 Jan 2013 at 07:54 PM.

8. If they can deliver a box that does what josh posted in that one thread, i will have everything i need.

which box in which thread?

10. I'm guessing box = vagina?