Page 4 of 396 FirstFirst ... 23456818 ... LastLast

Thread: Official PlayStation 4 Thread

1. That plan for PS4 sounds exactly like Steam. Cynical bastards like me were complaining about that shit in 2005... but we lost that fight. Yoshi all you go on about is Steam and now you are complaining about a console that would implement its prime feature? Get fucked.

It's (largely) region free and will seamlessly span hardware generations? If I can buy games from anywhere in the world and link them with my US PSN ID, then I'm good to go with this.

3. People bitch and moan, but then when it comes down to it, they'll put up with the shit and buy it when it comes to consoles. There is so much bullshit that goes along with owning and using a PS3 and people go along with it... Sony also built up the industry standard of backwards compatibility and then took it away.. and with sales of PS3 going up after they took out PS2 support of course they'll continue the trend.
    Check out my blog: ExHardcoreGamer.com

4. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    Well, consoles had a nice run, but now we're going to get what amounts to a PS3 with a touch screen in 2012 followed by region and ID locked bullshit in 2013. Viva la PC!

And the door is now wide open for Apple and/or Google.
    But Apple would probably just combine those, making a PS3 with a touch screen that's region and ID locked.
    It's (largely) region free
    While Steam itself is region free the games are dependent on the publisher, just like the 360. Deus Ex: HR, Fallout 3, Skyrim, Rage, Brink, Gotham City Imposters, Batman Arkham City, and so on are region locked. The difference is that the content is largely Western in the first place so the region locking doesn't affect us as much. But go check out pretty much any Steam thread with Europeans or Aussies in it and it's all kinds of rage about the games they can't play.

5. how the hell can pc games be region locked? is it tied to the profile of the steam account they use?

6. Or what region the OS is set to, and to change that in Windows 7 requires Ultimate or higher. Yes, I actually ran into that problem once and it was fucking horrible.

Sometimes people can get around by changing their Steam location, but generally it's things like purchasing a UK copy of a game requires you have a UK profile. You can also sometimes get someone from one region to gift a copy to another.

[edit] Actually, I've run into that problem a lot more than once, but it was only once in the last few years. It was an online game that detected region and locale settings.

7. damn, I figured a region lockout on pc would be so easy to get around developers wouldn't even bother unless it was tied to the location that paid for the game through steam or whatever

8. Welp, I hope any future fighting game gets a PC release. I'll be damned if I can't buy used.

9. Whether they find a way to block used games from being accessed or not isn't the real issue. At the heart of it, sounds like MS and Sony are aggressively pursuing it and unashamed of it. If anything, the attitude should have people worried. IF they get it off the ground, it's such a slap in the face of the consumer. If they don't, that only means they couldn't get to but would love to have you over a barrel as soon as possible. That attitude would be awful if, in mid-cycle, Sony figures out a way to lock out used games in this way and patch it into the hardware after the fact. It's an awful attitude to have in general.

I can only imagine, wanting to bring a game over to a friend's place all excited to show it off (while advocating for the sale of a product). What's that? I can only show him a trial? Or pay some fee to unlock at this location? Well, fuck it - we'll watch Netflix instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Careful. We're talking about games here. Fun isn't part of it.

10. You don't need video games. They're a luxury. If they take this route, simply don't buy it. But of course everyone will because they're spineless pussies who can't fill their time with anything else. It's like people who were conflicted over canceling Netflix and in the end stuck with them. Grow a fucking spine, man. Fuck.