Page 7 of 396 FirstFirst ... 3567891121 ... LastLast

Thread: Official PlayStation 4 Thread

You probably don't notice that the internet ever goes out unless you've played like an MMO. Sometimes there are small hiccups that might not fuck with anything else but are enough to kick you off the game.

Still, they're pretty rare. I'd rather not have consoles linked to the web but the 360 practically already is for me. I think I can safely say that every game I've played on my 360 has had an internet connection available at all times. I turned it on once without hooking it up after a move and the UI looked so barren and alien.

For the people that bring up disconnects, areas without service, etc for games like Diablo 3: the people behind the systems obviously have done the market research and they're fully aware of the audience they're be losing. They don't give a shit. Sorry.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

2. Fuck 'em.

3. Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    Pretty much.
    The one thing that keeps their prices competitive is the fact that you can just buy from another service.
    We'll never have that option with consoles.
    Good call.

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    The current setup with consoles allows you the option of selling your game once you've completed it. It's one of the advantages of buying a console version of a game, over buying the superior PC version. If I can't sell my console game, then why not just opt to buy it on PC, since I'm stuck with the title anyways?
    I appreciate someone using local and not just troll anger. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    I see this every time I read about persistent on stuff and I always think the same thing: is that person living in 1995? I have had maybe one day of Internet outage over the past five years that wasn't accompanied by a power outage. Yet somehow everyone on these tech sites like Slashdot/ArsTechnica, all these people who are obviously nerds, have the worst connections ever.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this, I just never wanted to say anything for fear of getting shit for it. I have had a constant internet connection since 1995 so not a problem with me. It's one thing on PC where people may want to play single player stuff on a laptop, but really, are you that worried about being on the internet in your own home that is always connected anyway. If in 1995 I can have a dial up modem always connected, you can have a cable modem in 2012 always connected. Hell, I don't even bother to play my 360 is I can't connect to Live, so it's basically the same thing anyway.
    Check out my blog: ExHardcoreGamer.com

Well, on a digital service, who is in charge of pricing options? Atlus just slashed down a lot of their PSP games as an incentive for people to double dip on the Vita, was that a Sony decision or an Atlus decision? Xseed has also lowered their prices, but some companies are still ridiculously high.

If the consoles go all digital they need to go balls out and offer an open market for apps and games. They're gonna want to hang on to their control and ridiculous fees because they're either MS (who have been busy ruining all the good faith it's built up with Live the past few years) or a big, fat, dumb Japanese company like Sony or Nintendo who will be dragged kicking and screaming into a new business model.

How well does the Apple shit do in Japan, btw? I was wondering if the Japanese app/games market was radically different to the point where it would make sense for Japanese companies to behave differently.
    My Backloggery

5. App Store is App Store. Apple has a perfunctory approval process and collects 30%. That's the way everyone is going and Sony will have to do the same. I do think they know this, since they are moving to a more services-based business model and that will accelerate when Kaz takes over.

6. Don't the Japanese not contribute as much to DLC markets and still prefer physical media? I mean this shit that they are trying to do is completely changing 30 years of gaming that I have grown to understand. I know I'm not their target and I'm a dinosaur at 34 but fuck man they better make every game Bioshock level quality if I'm gonna pay 60 bucks for a digital only copy of a game I can't do shit with once I'm done... All these stories about single person adventure games killing the market and not selling because of the used market -- ok how about this is just a bs excuse -- they aren't selling because the games aren't worth keeping. They suck or are too short or are to derivative or etc... if a game is good, people keep it. Then there are less used games. Then more people buy new, then everyone's happy... used market does what it needs to and companies still make money... Resident Evil Revelations sold just fine... because it's a good fucking game. Raccoon City on the other hand is a pile of shit, so basically if there was no used market for that game, hopefully no one would buy it knowing that they couldn't sell it if it sucked and the game would .. shit I dunno what my point even is. I'm thinking this might be my last generation.. time to start playing chess in the park with the other old men.
    "50,000! You scored 50,000 points on Double Dragon?"

7. Old men play more than chess at the park.

8. Do I have to go into the bathroom to play these games?
    "50,000! You scored 50,000 points on Double Dragon?"

9. I don't think we're much longer for the market being mainly comprised of paying to keep disposable things. I don't think it has anything to do with the quality declining. I personally believe the opposite--games as a whole are better now.
    Last edited by Joust Williams; 29 Mar 2012 at 03:43 PM.

Games in general are far more varied and better now than they've ever been. Nostalgia is some bullshit, real talk.
    My Backloggery