Page 15 of 396 FirstFirst ... 1113141516171929 ... LastLast

Thread: Official PlayStation 4 Thread

Keep in mind there will be new consoles next year. If the current generation were still going in 2015, it would be much sooner.

I'd actually say the iPad 2012 and iPhone 4S are more powerful than a PS2. They have to be closer to Vita territory.

2. We may have to have a quantum shift (not in the literal sense) in processor design to have something the size of an iPad be more powerful than what I would expect a PS4 to be. But still the issue will eventually be one of whether you expect a games-development studio to be able to use such power in a meaningful way while maintaining some level of cost-consciousness.

Exponential growth of technology says sup. consoles come out and stagnate for years. iDevices get a yearly upgrade.

We'll both be here in 2018. We can discuss it more then.

I'm not an investor, so cost consciousness can blow me. Less games with higher median quality please.

5. I just want someone at Apple to decide they're going to get serious about games and release that perfect official bluetooth controller.

But that's not going to happen for a LONG time because they have no reason to take those kinds of chances and I know that part of their design ethos is that nothing could ever be better than a touchscreen/trackpad. So... oh well I guess I'll keep playing cool touchscreen games.

I think you can mirror your iPad screen through the Apple TV... But it's pretty pointless for games.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    They should stop catering to the slow adopters, and if these rumors are true, they're headed in that direction. I want the $600 system every three years frankly.
    I'll take a $100 system with $70 games. I'll pick them up for $20 as GH titles. You guys can subsidize my consoles.

I can see the difference between new PC games and PS3 games by looking at the screens in Edge. It's a noticeable difference but not enough that I'd pay for it. I'd be happy with a PS4 that's really a PS3 with a marketing and interface upgrade, with both systems totally compatible. The PS4 can come with a larger hard drive, a new shell, and blast processing.
    Last edited by RoleTroll; 31 Mar 2012 at 10:18 PM.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    How many people on this site went from mainly playing on PS2 to mainly playing on 360 simply because they had a 360 first? The decision had been largely made, consciously or not, before the PS3 even launched. People got hooked on Achievements and XBLA games and weren't willing to start over, regardless of price.
    There were a lot of people on this board that jumped onboard the 360 bandwagon early. I wonder how many of them actually had an HDTV at that time?

I was still playing games on the PS2 and Xbox in 2006. I had bought an HD CRT (32" Sony Wega) in 2005, so I was ready for hi-def movies and games. I waited until the PS3 (60 gig) dropped down to $500 in mid 2007 and picked one up. The software lineup wasn't that great in 2007, so I basically played Resistance, Modern Warfare, Heavenly Sword, Lair, All-Pro Football and the rest of the crap. I probably watched more movies on Blu-Ray, than actually using the PS3 as a game console. It wasn't until I saw Bioshock for the 360, that I finally bought an Elite in November of 2007, and pretty much bought most of my games for that console.

Quote Originally Posted by RoleTroll View Post

I can see the difference between new PC games and PS3 games by looking at the screens in Edge. It's a noticeable difference but not enough that I'd pay for it. I'd be happy with a PS4 that's really a PS3 with a marketing and interface upgrade, with both systems totally compatible. The PS4 can come with a larger hard drive, a new shell, and blast processing.
    The PS3 and 360 probably would have been a lot better had MS and Sony put a little bit more memory in their systems. It's pretty evident when you play the PC version of a game and then play the same game on the PS3 or 360; the texture mapping on the consoles is fairly low-res in comparison and it more than likely has to do with the limited RAM. Even if you ran a PC game using a 7900 GS, it would probably have better texture mapping.
    Last edited by gamevet; 31 Mar 2012 at 10:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RoleTroll View Post
    I can see the difference between new PC games and PS3 games by looking at the screens in Edge.
    No, you can't, because it can't demonstrate that the game is also running at 60+ fps instead of 30 and likely with better physics.

More seemingly specific details are emerging around the APU and GPU, AMD's A8-3850 APU and Radeon HD 7670 GPU to be precise. I read a rumor yesterday that the PS4 will use DirectX, which is wild and awesome if true. It could be treated just like a weaker PC at that point, and the PC versions wouldn't have to suffer.