Page 1 of 17 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: 1UP's 60 Most Influential Games of All Time

1. 1UP's 60 Most Influential Games of All Time

This is an interesting/discussion provoking list that's a nice change in pace from the more broadly defined "Greatest" games lists:
    http://www.1up.com/features/most-influential-games

For the most part it's really pretty solid and well balanced, actually. Of course there are a few glaring omissions:

1) A lot of the RPG choices are very questionable, as well as the ordering. FF4 over the original Dragon Quest? Wizardry as the most influential RPG?

Meanwhile, they've left off pedit5, dnd, and Moria, which originated the genre and were very direct, well-documented influences on the games that popularized the genre, including Wizardry, which many have derided as an out-and-out clone of Oubliette and borderline IP infringement. It may have been a vehicle for influence, but it innovated nothing.

2) No Elite? This game not only established a massive genre, but really laid the ground work for all open-world 3D games. In some regards it can be seen as the first game to truly utilize all three dimensions in a meaningful way. It also inspired Wing Commander, which somehow made the cut. HUGE omission.

3) No Final Fantasy Tactics, Shining Force, Fire Emblem, or anything that popularized that genre?

4) Mystery House might have been a breakthrough, but I don't think it was nearly as directly influential as King's Quest or Maniac Mansion.

5) Why no Hard Drivin'?

There are a few questionable inclusions as well. Indy 500 was pretty amazing for its platform and time but not the first of its kind. Medal of Honor: Frontline seems downright arbitrary, and Bejeweled is pretty ridiculous too. Fallout does not strike me as particularly influential either. Were there waves of Fallout clones I missed?

Discuss.

I'm only going to touch on the RPG stuff in this post, since that's what I know the most about without having to go Google diving.
    Wizardry has the distinction of actually being possible to finish. There's no endgame in Oubliette. And, as 1up points out, it was one of the first RPGs to hit Japan and influence developers there (though I think The Black Pearl would be more deserving if we're looking at influence on Japanese development.)
    Fallout showed that traditional RPGs could be viable. There were almost no RPGs of note between 1994 and 1997. Three years may not sound like much, but remember that the industry seemed to measure time in dog years at that point - it was a long, long drought. And immediately after Fallout saw massive success, there were tons and tons of RPGs put into development, peaking with no fewer than a dozen major RPGs in both 2000 and 2001.
    Ultima III instead of IV? Really? What with pretty much every WRPG these days including some sort of alignment system, I think Ultima IV's karma system is one of the most lasting legacies of that series. Ultima III really wasn't much more than an incremental improvement on the previous two games in the series.

3. Jet Set Radio the first cel shaded game?

Wasn't there a cel shaded rhythm game that came out before it?
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

4. I think there was also a looney toons racing game on the dreamcast that came out before JSR.
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

5. Wasn't it Wacky Races that came out before?
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

6. Quote Originally Posted by bbobb View Post
    Jet Set Radio the first cel shaded game?

There were games that had cel-like visual styles to them, but JSR was the first to rock real cel shading as far as I know.
    Quote Originally Posted by bbobb View Post
    Wasn't it Wacky Races that came out before?
    Yeah, Wacky Races had edge detection outlines, but not cel shading. It had regular smooth shading, where cel shading means it has those hard breaks between color shades like a cel painting. JSR aslo had variable width outlines and generally looked really fucking nice, too.

7. Quote Originally Posted by bbobb View Post

There was a early Sony J-PS2 rhythm title with cel-shading around this point, not sure that it hit before Jet Set though.

8. Quote Originally Posted by bbobb View Post

Jet Set Radio and Slap Happy Rhythm Busters came out on the same day actually so it's a tie.
    Become History
    Awesome stuff I'm selling | Backloggery | Tumblr
    2013 Completion (2): PC (1), 360 (1)

9. I would swap Doom and Super Mario Bros..

10. Lists are stupid.
    Boo, Hiss.