View Poll Results: Which Sega Gen did you own, and how did you feel about it?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Loved, First release Model 1 (the one with hi def graphics on the back)

19 65.52%
  • Hated, First release Model 1 (the one with hi def graphics on the back)

1 3.45%
  • Loved, Later Release Model 1 (no hi def graphic/text)

2 6.90%
  • Hated, Later Release Model 1 (no hi def graphic/text)

0 0%
  • Loved, early Model 2

3 10.34%
  • Hated, early Model 2

0 0%
  • Loved, late Model 2

1 3.45%
  • Hated, late Model 2

0 0%
  • Loved, Other

3 10.34%
  • Hated, Other

0 0%
Page 1 of 11 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: Sega Genesis Music - A Poll!

Sega Genesis Music - A Poll!

I know that we've had threads in the past about the music of the sega gensis.

But this one is for seeing if there is a correlation between the model people own and their feelings about the gen's music.

I've been reading off and on over the weekend about FM synthesis. As some of you may or may not know, this is the type of sound reproduction that the Sega Genesis used.

While reading about it, I read up a little about the different sound circuits used in the many different Sega Genie. Apparently towards the end of the system, the sound circuit was changed and the sound suffered. This was around the 7th revision in the US market, right before the Sega Gen 2.

Also, it doesn't appear like all of the model two units have shitty sound.

For further reading on the many different board revesions, and how they rank on sound and video reproduction, you can read here

To listen to a sound comparison, try here

and some youtubes

Personally, I think some of the best 16 bit music appeared on the genesis. I also had a first release Genesis.

2. I had an OG Genesis. Gave it away.

How about that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

3. I didn't know the sound quality was different between models. I had the original Genesis and then had a CDX over a decade ago (and I think sold the CDX to someone here but I forget..).

I had an early Model 1, a Model 3, and an X'Eye and loved them all. Composition matters a hell of a lot more than the hardware. I'd listen to The Rolling Stones on Eight Track long before I bought Weezer on CD.

5. Even... Disco Stones?
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

6. SNES for life

And there's the only wrong answer to this thread.

With digital music that is stored as code, or something on par with midi, the hardware will change the composition. We're not talking about the difference in a record and cd. We're talking about the difference in a person playing a tuned piano, or an out of tune piano. Oh, and one might be a grand the other is a cheap upright. The notes will sound differently and have different character.

Some Old consoles rendered the music on the fly. The genesis for example, didn't store music samples.

To put it another way, the first Gen used an FM synth chip made by Yamaha. The music file was a sequence of keys and settings. Going from one genesis to anther is much like a player going from one brand of keyboard to another.

Yoshi, I thought you took all the fancy circuit classes in college. How do you not know this stuff?
    Last edited by Fe 26; 16 May 2011 at 12:22 PM.

Why would I have taken fancy circuit classes? My point is that nothing can save shitty music, but good music is like pizza in that even when it's not quite done right, it's still pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    My point is that nothing can save shitty music, but good music is like pizza in that even when it's not quite done right, it's still pretty good.
    which is completely relevant to this thread.