Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Napoleon Dynamite Animated Series

Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    On the contrary, I kind of related to it.
    You relating to the character has nothing to do with most of the fans of the movie being tool bags.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    I didn't really care for the movie. And I will fully admit it is because of the fans. Most of the people who find it hilarious are the same kinds of people who laugh at anyone they find weird or socially awkward.
    I saw it again recently, and it's borderline uncomfortable to watch. I have a feeling history will not be kind to this genre. It's today's blackface.

3. Awkward fuckers are the new black people?
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

Yeah. It is kind of like the Chappelle show and frat guys. The ones laughing at the racist jokes, and not the satire and/or absurdity of the people the jokes are paraoding.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    You relating to the character has nothing to do with most of the fans of the movie being tool bags.
    I tend to judge a movie on its merits not its audience.

Quote Originally Posted by A Robot Bit Me View Post
    I saw it again recently, and it's borderline uncomfortable to watch. I have a feeling history will not be kind to this genre. It's today's blackface.
    Incidentally a lot of the old cartoons that get thrown out for being "racist" I also have no problem with and don't think are wrongheaded. (Not all, of course, but at a certain point it became wrong to have any cartoon character that was both black AND funny and that might be a mistake).
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 18 May 2011 at 12:07 PM.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    at a certain point it became wrong to have any cartoon character that was both black AND funny and that might be a mistake).
    Was that after Uncle Ruckus?

7. Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    Was that after Uncle Ruckus?
    Uncle Ruckus is kind of an anti-stereotype.

uncle Ruckus is used to show the absurdity of that 50s style racism that is rarely said out loud now. They use a black man to voice the nonsense for many reasons.

1) it avoids public outcry by being done "Ironically"
    2) the type of white people that really feel this way will ignore a black man saying anything. Even if it is an exaggerated form of their own feelings. So they are essentially blind and deaf to everything he does. If they don't hear it, they can't complain about it.

The two thugs are white for similar reasons. It is a way to comment on the absurdity of certain behavior, but without encouraging future racism. They allow the writers to make fun of people who behave that way, without running into the problems Chappelle had.

Which is essentially them playing it safe at the release of the show. They've gotten increasingly more overt in how they make fun of stereotypes and the stupid people that want to be them.
    Last edited by Fe 26; 18 May 2011 at 04:27 PM.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    Uncle Ruckus is kind of an anti-stereotype.
    Ok, what about that dude from Family Guy?

10. That movie was what, 8 years ago? Everyone I remember who was hardcore into this is too old to care, and new audiences that have never seen the movie won't get it.

For the record, I hate "awkward kids" movies so I won't be watching this.