Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Any of these worth watching?

1. Kino's Journey was better than all of those, but Bebop is still pretty good.

I think the word "overrated" was invented shortly after Bebop started airing. Coincidence?
    Nope, internet records point to November 10th, 1995, the very day the first fansub tape of Evangelion was traded. It is the very most overrated boring anime ever.
    Donk

2. I haven't seen Champloo in a long time, but IIRC it ended strong. Whatever the complaints are, I'm sure most would still agree it's better than 95% of what's out there.

I cannot stress enough that Bebop is worth your time.
    2 GET GUD @ OVERWATCH + SWIGGITYSIX#1322

3. Bebop should grab you with the first episode, I had to watch the entire show as fast as I could after I watched it.
    There's more than a few amazing episodes in there.

I loved Champloo too.

I watched NGE back in the VHS fan sub days I couldn't tell you wtf happens in it. I didn't get it.

Was never a fan of the Tenchi series.

Desert Punk is all over the place. Some of it is good, some of it is terrible and there are a few episodes that were downright disturbing (Punk is a complete creep). I can't really recommend it.

4. It actually wasn't until the first "story" episode of Bebop that I was interested, the opening 3-4 episodes that were on the first disc had good design work but left no impression. After about an hour or so I was writing the series off as typical overblown fanboyism until that last one grabbed me.

5. "I'm looking for a pet shop."

"What kind of pet shop?"

"The shady kind."

6. Quote Originally Posted by Opaque View Post
    Bebop is arguably the most important anime series ever created and is ranked by many as the best, or one of the best, series ever produced by the industry.epmode still didn't say it wasn't worth watching, he just didn't like that it was episodic.
    Right. I definitely like the show (I even bought that Remix collection thing), I just think it could have used a more focused story. Too many bounty of the week episodes. And it doesn't help that the show just Ends as soon as things start to happen.

In related news, I think a lot of people in this thread should watch Avatar - The Last Airbender even though it's not technically anime.

Because
    the entire series is on Netflix streaming
    it strikes a great balance between serialized and episodic storytelling
    it seems to have triple the budget of your average anime
    you don't have to worry about a godawful dub
    it's goddamned awesome.

Bebop is good scifi. And it doesn't have a lot of the sterotypes that anime was starting to get. I think that is a big reason people over state how great it is. Anime had really really started to follow patterns when Bebop came out, so it was really refreshing to have something were it appeared like someone actually sat down and wrote a story, and didn't try to retell the same anime with the same sterotypes, but with new and yet some how generic art direction.

Its good, but isn't OMG SUPER BEST THING EVER. If you can get into it, it will be just as good scifi as any modern US or UK scifi show. It is in no way worse than the new Galaticia, Farscape, Firefly, or the like.

So yeah, it is good and solid. I think its worth is over stated because of the big piles of animated shit japan was(is) putting out at the time.

You enjoying it will depend more on if you like the characters or the stories. Bad writing isn't an issue.

8. The Jupiter Jazz two-parter and others were seriously god-tier for anime, though.

Also, best anime intro song ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Uriel View Post
    best anime intro song ever.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Finch View Post
    Kino's Journey was better than all of those, but Bebop is still pretty good.
    This is probably true.

Mushi-shi is a better Kino's though.