Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sega-16 Taken Down

1. Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post

Whoever hacked Sega-16 last time wrote a note saying, in effect, the site is full of holes; patch them up so I don't have to do this again. Whether that page was reported or not, the lesson to be learned here is that the site needs to be updated. If not, you will put it up on some other Web space and if another hijack takes place, you may find yourself out on the street with no access to your files and blacklisted as a risky site. It is simply irresponsible to ask anyone to host the site at this time. If that wasn't so, Sega-16 would still be "on the air" right now.
    I'm not asking anyone to host the site as it is. I know it's a security risk. My problem is that even if it were rewritten tonight, it now has nowhere to go. I have to look for a new host. I'm in contact with a web designer who is willing to go through the code and content with me to recode it, and only once that's done will it go up.

My suggestion was to get a WordPress template going, make sure WordPress is kept up to date, and handle the main site that way. But even then . . . both WordPress and vBulletin need to update frequently because there are so many people trying to hack them. Who's to say that a vBulletin or WordPress exploit won't be found tomorrow and whoever it is that hates Sega-16 won't jump on it right away - before the developers even have a chance to roll out a fix?
    Why even have a site at all then? Couldn't this same problem already happen to TNL's vBulletin or site, or any other on the server? Sega-16 wasn't the first site to get hacked, and it certainly won't be the last.

2. The exact same thing happened with my site. Over ten years ago I had a parody auction for a 'Dracula X Special Version HuCard'. I created the auction and immediately ended it to use the html from it as a dummy page. It occasionally comes up over the years and I uploaded the old html file to my webspace to show people at one point. When my site was taken down my host never told me why and when I finally got them to say that it was for phishing, it still took a long time for them to narrow it down to a single file on my webspace. They insisted that I remove the file myself and it only took a minute, but the whole thing took weeks to resolve.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I don't think so. Not everything can be blamed on hackers. I might be wrong, and I apologize if that is the case, but that page was pretty much just an auction that staff saved from eBay and uploaded whole onto Sega-16. That was a bad decision made sometime in the past that has repercussions now.
    I'm not sure I completely understand, are you suggesting that someone from Sega-16 broke the rules, and that they are bieng punished for it by bieng removed from your server?

I dig through the site content and the forums almost on a daily basis, and I don't remember ever seeing any kind of E-bay auction. None of this situation really makes any sence to me.
    Last edited by shinobimusashi; 22 May 2011 at 07:01 PM.

It's not a punishment. Either Sega-16 goes, or EVERY site on the server goes. At least, thats how I read it.

5. Every site is theoretically hackable. The thing I'm worried about is whether someone is specifically and persistently targeting Sega-16. If no one hates TNL and someone hates Sega-16, it is not a risk for me to have TNL on the server. As I said above, there's a chance that someone is just fucking with you and once the glaring holes are stopped up he will go away. But what if it's something more?

If I lose all my content because I messed up and left a window open in my articles, that's one thing. But if I lose my server and it's nothing more than collateral damage in a drive-by shooting, that's another issue entirely. It's not like I turned tail and ran at the first sign of trouble. This is the third time Sega-16 was targeted in about a month, and it was down for about a week of that time. I've invested thousands and thousands and thousands of dollars in this site, so you can see why I'm upset at it being involved in some geek feud.

I'll PM you, Melf, with some more thoughts.

6. It does seem like someone is targeting Sega-16.

Nick is right that it's likely something on your main site Melf that is probably still outdated and very vulnerable to being attacked that hackers are aware of and are just exploiting it until you get it corrected. It was good that you updated the vBulletin forum, but if I'm understanding the situation here, the hacker just needed to exploit further the existing vulnerable file still on your domain. Perhaps for now you should take down the main site and just leave the forum, ( i.e. like how Systemwars does it) this way the site would be less susceptible to hackers trying to knock down your site.

P.S. Did any of you (my sega-16 mates) actually sign up to that voide.us forum back when the first hack occurred on sega-16.com when there was a redirector sending visitors to the voide.us site?

7. I don't see why anyone would deliberately be targeting the site. They haven't in 7 years, and we've had no problems that warrant such attacks. The people responsible for the hack apparently do this sort of thing for fun, regardless of who it is. There is no "geek feud" that I know of, so this is as new to me as it is to you. I've also made a considerable investment in Sega-16, so I understand your position. I just ask that you understand mine.

8. Could there be a leak in the ads?
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.

9. The host said it was because of the eBay auction page and specifically linked that page. After we took it down, it was all clear, though I was told Google might classify Sega-16 as a phishing site for a bit longer to be safe.

10. I hate to see such a great site being taken down in such a manner. The Sega-16 site always had interesting content, be it interviews with former members of the industry, or forum posts that bring about solid conversation. I hope a solution can be found to resolve the issues.