Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cell Phones Give You Cancer

YEAH DUH

Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Confidence intervals, bro.
    Exactly. Also, causality is incredibly difficult to prove, even with very high correlation.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    We can't do any insertions with your mom anymore.
    Great, now what the fuck is she supposed to do?

Your dad.

5. Good luck with that, she stopped doing that 40 years ago.

Harsh toke for pops.

7. Yup, it kind of explains why he was such a miserable fuck when I was growing up.

8. Life gives you cancer. If something doesn't give you a significant increase in cancer rates it's not genuinely worth your time to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Three year old article from some guy nobody has ever heard of is a reality check?
    You don't know who Brian Dunning is?

That article contains a lot evidence than the one this thread is based on. In fact the article this thread is based on contains literally not one piece of evidence to imply that cell phones cause cancer; and I don't mean it's wishy washy, I mean it literally not once says a percent increased risk or even mentions specific rates. Which isn't to say that they don't, because really we don't know, but the article Josh posted when read properly says nothing more than experts who know some radiation can cause cancer have decided that since cell phones put out any radiation they might. Hell, the only studies it really mentions in any depth found no correlation at all, and if there's not even correlation how could that begin to imply causation? That is not peer reviewed or repeated scientific experiment, but the article Brian Dunning wrote actually looks at things we know about different wavelengths based upon peer reviewed and repeated study. Pretty important differences there.
    Last edited by Opaque; 01 Jun 2011 at 05:14 PM.

9. I output radiation so I must be causing cancer too.

Also Josh is a grade-A retard for posting this thread title in reference to an article that says this:
    The group classified cellphones in category 2B, meaning they are possibly carcinogenic to humans. Other substances in that category include the pesticide DDT and gasoline engine exhaust.

Last year, results of a large study found no clear link between cellphones and cancer. But some advocacy groups contend the study raised serious concerns because it showed a hint of a possible connection between very heavy phone use and glioma, a rare but often deadly form of brain tumor. However, the numbers in that subgroup weren't sufficient to make the case.

The study was controversial because it began with people who already had cancer and asked them to recall how often they used their cellphones more than a decade ago.
    Last edited by Uriel; 02 Jun 2011 at 05:56 AM.
    2 GET GUD @ OVERWATCH + SWIGGITYSIX#1322