Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LSAT vs GMAT

1. I agree that you shouldn't NOT do something just because there is no demand now. Do something that you truly enjoy and can excel at. I do think lawyer is a special breed. I could never do it because I can't be bother to scrutinize every word in a 200 page document, but I guess that's why they (some anyway) get paid the big bucks. No idea about the sport agent market, but I would imagine with so much money in professional sports, it would be an extremely competitive field.

Why does LSAT scare you? Did you try to take a practice exam? You can't take these standardized exam cold turkey and expect to do well. My experience with these types of exams are that the material are fairly basic (I pretty much aced the math/quant section of the GMAT), but it is the format and time constraint that really throw off people. You must familiarize yourself and at least know the material 100% to have a chance to get a good score. Like everything in life, preparation is key.
    Last edited by kingoffighters; 03 Jun 2011 at 10:42 PM.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Law school and business school are both a mug's game right now IMO. Especially law school. Try to get some sort of internship/summer job in a good field to line up your shit for when you graduate. The economy sucks balls now and will not be much better next year.
    Yeah don't goto law school, its definitely not worth it right now due to the economic suck. Graduate, work a shitty job and get debt free. Grad school is just extra debt right now.

3. 15 months later and I took the LSAT and scored way below what I wanted, finished up my BA in Political Science and graduated, and now I'm currently working two internships, one paid for a marketing company and one non paid for a talent management company.

I'm still between law and business school, leaning towards law school. I figured I'd start studying for the LSAT again around December for the June test and if all goes well, start law school the following year. That's option one. Option two is taking the GMAT or GRE and applying to business school.

What I know I want is not to settle with these internships or a job.

I hate making a career choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    If I'm going to be taxed, I'd rather it be to build a Death Star than to feed lazy Wookiees.

4. I can understand your distress. Making career choices in your early 20's is a really fucked up position to be placed in. I figured out something rock solid to pursue (I have other aspirations but they are not reliable enough to push everything else aside) about 6 months before I turned 25. If things go smooth, I should finish up before I turn 30 or shortly after. The difference between just being stupid and 18 and getting an education for something I may despise later and waiting until I could make a better choice later in life is now I get to juggle school with a full time job, bills and being a husband/father which makes school and finishing far more difficult. I'm still glad I went the way I did but I'm looking at a very very challenging and draining path to earning my degree.

If you're unsure about it, take some time off. Your degree isn't going anywhere and you may benefit a little by getting out into the world and living as an independent adult.

5. Can you believe you are only 2 years older than me? I can't even begin to comprehend having a full time job with school and a wife and kids.

I work 39 hours a week, get paid for only 19 of those hours and it's barely anything, so I'm nowhere near being an independent adult. I've been contemplating getting out of my parents house, but I feel like it's going to be an unnecessary expense, unless I view getting out into the world as necessary at this point of my life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    If I'm going to be taxed, I'd rather it be to build a Death Star than to feed lazy Wookiees.

6. Read this.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009D1...8658521&sr=8-5

I've been reading this guys work for a while and well, let me just say that not going to law school was the smartest decision I ever made.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Seconded.

Also, don't go to law school.

Take note that there are 4 known lawyers\law school graduates on this board. Three of them -- me, Nash, and MarsKitten -- have told you not to go to law school.
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

"Jesus christ you are still THE WORST." -FirstBlood

8. Quote Originally Posted by aren View Post
    Can you believe you are only 2 years older than me? I can't even begin to comprehend having a full time job with school and a wife and kids.

I work 39 hours a week, get paid for only 19 of those hours and it's barely anything, so I'm nowhere near being an independent adult. I've been contemplating getting out of my parents house, but I feel like it's going to be an unnecessary expense, unless I view getting out into the world as necessary at this point of my life.
    If you're undecided, maybe just try and find a decent paying job that'll support you for the time being (construction, waiter, etc.) and just be on your own. You'll get some insight into responsibility and that'll give you a little more respect for the goals you're working to achieve. You may even decide you want to do something completely different. While earning good money is important for most people, you'll find doing satisfying work will make you happier.

I have a few friends in law school. Just consider the economics... Over $100k in student loans, little ability to work while you attend school, with a marginal hope of finding well-paying work at the other side. I did a two-second search for a payment calculator, and that's $916/month over the course of 20 years. Kind of wanting to go to law school is quite an expense if you find that you won't want to use it after all.