Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6891011 LastLast

Thread: New Dark Tower Novel Coming

1. Damn, Compass, you're right! I snapped a screenie of that page off of the preview on Amazon. Heck with that other order I posted. This one's OFFICIAL.

Well, Amazon's got some buy 3, get one free deal going on certain things and a bunch of books on that list are a part of it.

I guess I'll start at the top of that list and start reading them after I'm done with book 3. I mean, I doubt the connections are THAT MAJOR where I should stop reading it.

2. I think that list (in DT 4.5) is the order in which the books were released, though. If yours takes chronology into account, it might still be worth referencing.

3. Armaneeta is kawaii. I like how Tim imagines her viewing scenes in the basin with "her chin propped on her tiny hands."

Really liked this. Story within a story within a story. The Talisman's ending was very similar to The Wind Through the Keyhole's (nested version). Daria was fantastic.

So was Directive Nineteen in place to prevent her from directly helping Tim? By getting too specific? If so, who was responsible for it? She first cited it when Tim asked to be warned if there were any baddies approaching him while he slept. And then of course, when she told him about the tyger and to seek shelter, she was destroyed ("Good luck, Tim. You have been my fr--" ).

4. I'm about a third of the way through The Gunslinger. Enjoyed the part about putting the gun barrel all up in preacher lady's cunt. I'd say we're off to a strong start.
    Quote Originally Posted by C.S. Lewis
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

The first book is fantastic, glad you're enjoying it.

I'm a third of the way through book three right now. Getting close!

6. Tick-Tock Man is such a rad character, and he was totally wasted in Wizard and Glass. I remember totally fucking geeking out when Flagg showed up at the end.

7. These Dark Tower characters sure do love their palaver.

Finished The Gunslinger. I'll get to the next book soon, but first I'm going to read Joe Hill's Heart-Shaped Box since it's already on my Kindle.
    Quote Originally Posted by C.S. Lewis
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

8. Normally I'd chastise someone for interrupting the series like that, but I suppose if you absolutely have to take a break, doing it for a Joe Hill book is acceptable. It's scary how good a writer he was right out of the gate, and he's only getting better (Horns was brilliant).

Gunslinger's a quick read. I usually finish that one in a single afternoon. It's not my favorite Dark Tower book, but in a lot of ways it's probably the best of the lot.

I'll agree with that.

10. Wind Through the Keyhole is really good so far (I'm about a third of the way through). Very similar in tone and structure to Wizard and Glass and already so much better than the last three books. When King's not trying to meet some imaginary deadline and forcing his way through them, Tower stories really are the jewels of his bibliography. I never realize just how much I miss these characters and this world until I revisit them.

I hope he's still got a few stories about Roland left in him.