Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 791011

Thread: New Dark Tower Novel Coming

I've said it a million times, but I hope he does one of his fabled rewrites on the last three books. I've accepted the "real" ending, but everything leading up to it is shit. The reveal on the wolves was retardo shit, and Flagg getting killed by some dumb ass spider steve-o king and his Ramones t-shirt. the last ride of Roland's companions

Hopefully there are still other worlds than these, and we'll get to visit them at some point.

2. Yeah, he's said he intends to rewrite them and make some changes, and that he's considering taking the ficitonal version of himself out of the final books. I really hope that also means a proper final showdown between Roland and Flagg. I wasn't even pissed that Flagg was killed, it was just the dumbass way that it went down that I thought was disappointing. I spent the rest of Book VII gritting my teeth in growing irritation after that. Same goes for that last fight with the Crimson King.

The "real ending" and epilogue, despite being controversial, were fantastic. I hope he leaves them alone.

brb jerking it.

4. lol @ the entitlement. No, sorry, authors do not need to rewrite entire books to suit your expectations.

I hope he rewrites them and makes the entire ka-tet himself of various ages/genders.

5. Quote Originally Posted by No One View Post
    Normally I'd chastise someone for interrupting the series like that,
    What about interrupting it to read another King book? I'm a third of the way through The Stand. 14XX pages seemed RIDICULOUS when I first picked this up, but I seriously couldn't put it down after the initial characterization was through. Great story thus far, though I'm starting to think it would've been better with slightly "un" in the "uncut."

I'm just hoping I don't get too caught up in the rest of King's books that I forget to get back to The Waste Lands.

Quote Originally Posted by Compass View Post
    lol @ the entitlement. No, sorry, authors do not need to rewrite entire books to suit your expectations.
    Well yeah, no shit. But whats the harm in talking about it? Don't you make "I wish" posts over in the anime section? Or occasionally every other section?

7. Quote Originally Posted by ChaoofNee View Post
    What about interrupting it to read another King book? I'm a third of the way through The Stand. 14XX pages seemed RIDICULOUS when I first picked this up, but I seriously couldn't put it down after the initial characterization was through. Great story thus far, though I'm starting to think it would've been better with slightly "un" in the "uncut."

I'm just hoping I don't get too caught up in the rest of King's books that I forget to get back to The Waste Lands.
    The Stand ended up being a pretty important Tower book, so there's no harm at all in going back. If anything it'll help you understand some of what happens later on. Sounds like you got the expanded version, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Compass View Post
    lol @ the entitlement. No, sorry, authors do not need to rewrite entire books to suit your expectations.

I hope he rewrites them and makes the entire ka-tet himself of various ages/genders.
    I don't think "wouldn't it be nice if..." qualifies as "entitlement". Perhaps if we were organizing some ridiculous online petition or screaming for the author's head, sure. I think I'm within my rights to say what I did/didn't enjoy about something, though. Besides, he's doing those rewrites without any prodding from fans. It's pretty clear he didn't have an outline in place when he started writing these books, and there's a lot of stuff that doesn't gel very well. By his own admission, what's out there right now is a "first draft".

I'd be perfectly content with The Dark Tower as it is, even with all the latter books' failings. But will I check out any revisions he chooses to publish?

Yep.

Edit: I'm now 60% through The Wind Through the Keyhole. It's old-school Tower all the way and I'm loving every page.
    Last edited by No One; 06 Jun 2012 at 02:34 PM.

Same here-- 60% through and loving it.

I love how seamlessly it fit into the Dark Tower-- it really just felt like a stop along the way between books. It was also much more enjoyable than 5-7 -- had the feel of Roland telling the stories of his past in the older books. I enjoyed it. Onto The Stand.