Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Management

1. Management

I started a new job at the end of April. This is my first true management position. I have about 20 employees reporting to me in some capacity.

I had to have a difficult conversation with one of the employees today about their responsibilities, meeting expectations, etc, and it was not the easiest conversation to have. It went okay, but I think my lack of experience shined through a bit.

Anyone have any tips? I know what type of executives/managers I've enjoyed working for in the past, so I plan to emulate their management style as much as I can, but I'd love to hear some pointer.

At the very least, what's the worst experience you've had with management? Or alternatively, if you're management, what's the worst experience that you had with your employees?

2. The best advice I have from my experience is to be honest with everything.

If you aren't happy that you have to be counseling someone because you aren't totally comfortable or you don't like doing it, let them know. Knowing that you're doing it even though you don't enjoy it really helps send the message home that this shit is important, because you wouldn't make yourself and them uncomfortable for no reason.

3. You will know you're doing a good job if all the people under you hate you.

4. I've always been a successful manager because I show everyone respect, I'm clear about my expectations and I try to lead by example. Delegate where you need to and be the most contributing member of the team so they can rely on you to make the tough decisions. On the whole the staff should see the benefit to having you in the position because if things run better their job experience will ultimately improve.

5. The only bad manager / boss I've ever had I selectively maneuvered in to being fired. I would say if someone is getting the results you want / need and doing a good job don't be afraid to show them a little slack. And lead by example.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

6. Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    You will know you're doing a good job if all the people under you hate you.
    The beatings will continue until morale improves.
    “The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, you know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.” -George Carlin

7. I rule through disappointment, not anger.
    Boo, Hiss.

8. Rule through fear.

There are some simple things like trying to keep their respect, trying to be fair, trying to communicate well and consistently, leading by example, etc.

Other stuff can depend on the work being done and the kinds of people that pursue those kinds of jobs. People are not all the same. People who want to work fast food are going to respond to things differently than a bunch of lawyers, for example. Generally, the higher the pay level, the less you should rule with fear and instead try to rule with "personal" motivators. What those "personal" things are, depend on you, the employee, and the work being done.

If I had to pick one thing to work on though, it would be respect. People will do a lot of shit for people they respect. And if they don't respect you, they will try to do as little as possible and maybe even try to fuck up the work they do and the work of others. Respect is 20% talk and 80% walk. You need to know your shit and do the shit. You need to help out if you can, and have intelligent and informed things to say when people come to you. People need to feel like you are the boss for a reason.