Thread: Best eCommerce CMS?

1. Best eCommerce CMS?

I know a few people here do website development and design (cka I'm looking at you.) I was hoping those familiar with the subject can point me in the right direction. Open source or pay, I've looked around and feel overwhelmed.
    Quote Originally Posted by remnant
    I live in the fastlane bitches.
    Quote Originally Posted by diffusionx
    Thats how we roll, ride or die bitch.

2. I don't think there's a best

what are you willing to spend? what kind of features do you need? there's a wide range of shit you can use for ecommerce, from the horrible paid stuff (x-cart) to the horrible free stuff (oscommerce) to the decent/borderline overwhelming free stuff (magento) to the "I'm just sellin shit out of my garage" stuff (wordpress + ecomm plugins)

edit: and this is pretty much all just php stuff, I don't even know where to start when it comes to other languages like ruby/rails, python, asp, cloldfusion and others

(I deal with x-cart for my day to day and more often than not making it do what we need it to do is an uphill battle because of the way it was programmed)
    Last edited by cka; 21 Jun 2011 at 08:12 AM.

3. I'm all for PHP. My first attempt at eCommerce was Virtuemart. A joomla extension based on OSCommerce. It was such a nightmare I know that's definitely a path I don't want to take. Magento and Foxycart had me interested. Sometimes I still get calls from my OScommerce client saying something just decided to stop working.

As for what I'm willing to spend? This is for a small business client. I was hoping to do something OS so that they wouldn't be paying a monthly fee, but of course the priority is that shit works properly and we both know with the OS solutions that isn't always the case - even after a good amount of tinkering.

Do you have any experience with Foxy? How does it compare to Magento? I will do a dev account at both this week to take a peek myself but your opinions are welcome and and very appreciated.
    Last edited by Spent; 21 Jun 2011 at 09:38 AM.

4. no experience whatsoever with foxycart unfortunately, and from the limited exposure I had with magento it seems like you can tailor it to whatever specific needs you have but it has an imperial fuckton of shit you can play with

if you just wanna throw a hundred or two at the problem, and they won't be tinkering with the back-end or templates much, x-cart would probably be fine -- really its when you need to do upgrades (seriously their upgrade system is comically tragic)/modifications/addons/custom hacks & theming that x-cart gets massively ugly

edit: here's another one you can play with http://www.prestashop.com/
    Last edited by cka; 21 Jun 2011 at 09:51 AM.

5. I'll be taking a look at both of those over the weekend. Thanks again.