Page 1 of 52 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: Brandon Justice Is A Tool AKA The Never Ending Debate Concerning Used Game Sales

1. Brandon Justice Is A Tool AKA The Never Ending Debate Concerning Used Game Sales

I just got done reading the newest EGM and in the back of the issue next to a fine Ed. Op. piece by the illustrious Eric L. Patterson is a piece titled "Used And Abused".
    The basic premise of course was how the used game industry and Gamestop in particular hurts game developers and is the reason behind so many "game cancellations, layoffs, and studio closures."

I've read that opinion many times before. I strongly disagree with it, but that was not the impetus for this thread.
    At the end of the article Mr. Justice lists the following ideas for helping the industry. "For starters, buy new whenever you can. Play fewer games. Wait for sales. Hell, borrow from friends. But for the love of all that's good in gaming, make sure that your dollars are going to the folks who've earned it."

One of you please, please, PLEASE explain to me how borrowing from a friend is any different than buying a used game. I must be a goddamn waterhead because it looks to me like both scenarios result in someone experiencing content without the developers receiving a penny from that user.

What a fucking tool.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    One of you please, please, PLEASE explain to me how borrowing from a friend is any different than buying a used game.
    Because it doesn't place money into the hands of and directly support the future of a business that is based on selling used games?

3. I haven't read the article, but I assume what he is saying is that if you can't afford to buy a game new, then save your money until you can. If this includes borrowing games from friends in the meantime to help save money, so be it.

4. I'll never buy a used car again. It's just not right.
    Quote Originally Posted by C.S. Lewis
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

5. I don't think people understand that a healthy 2nd hand market increases the value of a buying an item new and therefore increases demand in the primary market. The problem is that the used market is dominated buy some pretty terrible companies.

Also, I don't know why a game company hasn't started a buy back program. Sell a game back to them above what the market value is and get a credit that is only good for one of their new games within the first 2 weeks of release. Car companies have figured this out, why can't EA?
    your mom

6. I've yet to see a Gamestop that carries only used games.
    I also liked how he equates used game sales to software piracy.

7. If game publishing companies are so set against used game sales, they can just lower the game prices to $10/game and most people would buy new.

8. Deep breath.
    His point of contention with used game sales is that someone is enjoying the fruits of a developers and publishers labor without paying for it.
    Then he says borrow from a friend.
    What is the difference of me borrowing three games so I can save up to buy one new one as opposed to buying three used games so that I can save up to buy one new one.
    IT'S THE SAME FUCKING THING ASSHATS!

9. Entitlement issues all over the industry. Fuck them. I'd rather spend my money on alcohol.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    Deep breath.
    His point of contention with used game sales is that someone is enjoying the fruits of a developers and publishers labor without paying for it.
    Then he says borrow from a friend.
    What is the difference of me borrowing three games so I can save up to buy one new one as opposed to buying three used games so that I can save up to buy one new one.
    IT'S THE SAME FUCKING THING ASSHATS!
    I think what he's saying is that you should spend all the money you have on new games, and if you have to borrow games to stomach that, it's better than taking money out of your new game budget and putting it towards used games. A bit of a stretch, I know, but not completely hypocritical.

I never buy used games used unless they're out of print. But I support the sale of used games precisely because I want them to continue to exist after they're out of print. I just choose not to spend my money on used copies of newish games just to save $5. That's shitty and if that's the extent of his point, he's right.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 25 Jun 2011 at 10:50 PM.