Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst ... 34567919 ... LastLast

Thread: Pacific Rim

1. Quote Originally Posted by sleeve View Post
    And now it turns out that McClain isn't actually doing the GlaDOS voice in the movie.
    Wait, what? Please explain...when did that change?

*EDIT* She actually IS doing the voice, but with fewer GLaDOS filters. No big deal. Del Toro even got Valve's permission to use her.
    Last edited by Dolemite; 05 Feb 2013 at 01:25 PM.

2. Quote Originally Posted by sleeve View Post
    Based on the trailer, this doesn't surprise me at all.

Aside from the special effects (which look amazing) the movie had two things going for it: Idris Elba and Ellen McClain's voice. And now it turns out that McClain isn't actually doing the GlaDOS voice in the movie.

So we have no reason to assume this is going to be good.
    This is exactly how I feel. I saw the trailer when I went to see The Hobbit, and I was entirely underwhelmed.
    bastard of the new world order.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
    Wait, what? Please explain...when did that change?

*EDIT* She actually IS doing the voice, but with fewer GLaDOS filters. No big deal. Del Toro even got Valve's permission to use her.
    Don't get me wrong. I have high hopes for this movie.

I just don't assume on faith that it's gonna be any good.

Also, I think Ellen McClain is overrated. I much prefer Terri Brosius:

The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

"Jesus christ you are still THE WORST." -FirstBlood

4. It will be good in the worst ways.

5. Quote Originally Posted by sleeve View Post
    Don't get me wrong. I have high hopes for this movie.

I just don't assume on faith that it's gonna be any good.

Also, I think Ellen McClain is overrated. I much prefer Terri Brosius:

Ah, good ol' SHODAN...

Man, I want System Shock 3 in the worst way. For realz.
    Last edited by Dolemite; 05 Feb 2013 at 07:20 PM.

6. Sounds like the typical Del Toro movie to me. He plays a shell game with the visuals to keep you from noticing the crappy dialogue.
    "I've watched while the maggots have defiled the earth. They have
    built their castles and had their wars. I cannot stand by idly any longer." - Otogi 2

7. Quote Originally Posted by MechDeus View Post
    But is it bad bad or good bad? If it's corny dialogue of people running around giving stupid pep speeches and being all nationalist or whatever then that's what I would want from this anyway.
    The people I've seen hate on it so far have all been in the crowd of where they're too cool for it because it openly displays its homages.
    No, that shit sucks. 'Good Bad' is so much more a factor of creators having a big scope or interesting idea that they can't competently or practically achieve. Just making things trite and easily digestible hardly constitutes an homage.

The coolest thing this movie could do, like someone else mentioned, is have the robots created to defend become the new greatest threat. Fleshing out, even in some abstract or fantastic way, the motivations of the monsters would be a great service to a story like this...bad guys are always more interesting because they're the catalysts, the heroes so frequently just react to someone else's plans/ambitions.

8. Get ready for Evangelion Sans Message: The Movie
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

9. Quote Originally Posted by FuryFox View Post
    Just making things trite and easily digestible hardly constitutes an homage.
    That's not at all what I was talking about when I mentioned homages; I was referring to things like the Big O-style arm attack. There were a lot of people on media sites like the earlier YouTube trailers linked where they were complaining about the movie for having monsters rise up from the deep, the GLaDOS voice, and so on.

10. Gotcha. I was commenting more on the nationalist speeches and Independence Day structure. I don't see why someone would complain about the monsters and robots if the rest of the story was strong, but I can see the subject being an easy out for criticism if the handling is needlessly puerile.

My concern is that monsters, robots, and punches aren't interesting merely by inclusion.