Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 345679 ... LastLast

Thread: Apartment/renting/roommate Horror Stories

1. Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    In college, when I had roommates, I never ended the year without hating them except for one instance. It is nobody's fault, it just doesn't work.

The chances that two people are compatible enough to live together without fucking is slim to nil. Shit, it's only like thirty or forty percent even if you include the fucking.
    My freshman year I was randomly crammed into a "triple" room which was 1.1x the size of everyone else's two-person dorm, but with a bunk bed and a single bed, two closets and a dresser for the odd man out (me).

And it was probably the best living situation ever. We got along great, never bothered each other and knew how to keep to ourselves. Just hung out, drank, listened to punk & metal and watched movies. It's completely insane that I can't think of a single time any of us pissed another one off, save your typical unavoidable dorm problems (can't jerk off, getting alone with girls, etc). Luckiest motherfuckers on earth, we were.

2. I had a triple my freshman year and one of the dudes disappeared for 4 months and didn't talk to anyone for the remainder. Yea I'd say that was good luck for you.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Cowutopia View Post
    That's entirely reasonable. You ever get the guitar back?
    Nope.

My read on it was that he traded it for coke and was more afraid of the dealer than whatever I would do to him.
    Boo, Hiss.

4. Oh yeah, I almost forgot about another roommate who was a heroin addict, and had gotten so out of control he bought two bricks at one point and went through them in a week.

To make this worse, he had the most bizarre reaction to heroin I've ever seen. He would flail, scream, stomp, sing, shout gibberish and generally act like the Tasmanian Devil every second he was on the shit. He couldn't sit still or be quiet. When you'd confront him about it, he'd claim to be sleepwalking.

He was a friend of one of my other roommates so kicking him out involved giving him more chances than common sense would dictate. We did kick him out though, and it was before he got broke and desperate, so he never stole anything, at least.

5. I've lived with roommates ever since I moved out of my parents. There's always one person in every group that is terrible at money and/or cleaning, but I generally don't have issues due to always making sure I have a room to myself where I store all my stuff and either conveniently never get on the lease or sign a separate lease.

I did have some issues early on where I learned to do all that, namely getting fucked out of about $1000 in rent and having someone's moron friends come over and steal some of my shit. Never did figure out who stole from me, but since two of the roommates had a habit of not locking the house so that their friends could come over and just wander in whenever they wanted I simply accused all of them of being the thieves. It led to a lot of heated arguments and they stopped coming over, so it worked out great for me.

It was mostly annoying because we found out some of their friends came over one morning when no one was home in order to use our oven for some kind of drugs (I don't recall what, and no, it wasn't something harmless like weed). I don't think we ever figured out why they came to our kitchen, since they lived like three houses down in their own place.

That's actually been the only reoccurring issue: People who get high never have any concept of personal boundaries, like why they should do things like knock or see if people are home before going to someone else's house to hang out. If they do show up and knock and there's no answer, they will check every door and window to see what's unlocked to let themselves in anyway so they can chill on the couch until someone that lives there shows up. At least the drunks tend to call first or leave if no one answers.

Once had the cops drop off someone for drinking too much and puking on random people on the street, but I didn't have to handle it so I thought it was pretty funny.

6. My only roomate problem right now is the one (who acts like a 9 year old boy around her girlfriend, off-putting) downstairs sending me texts about the slightest noise at odd hours. Never a word spoken about it, just texts. Owns a psychotic pitbull. Pitbull is also a problem.

I am on a month-to-month, I think August will be my last month. Fuck this!

Also nobody locks the front door and acts weird when I do?
    Last edited by YellerDog; 27 Jul 2011 at 02:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

Welcome to the suburbs, that happened to me when I moved here from Miami.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

8. I moved to SF from Flint "Murder Capitol of the World 2010" Michigan, an unlocked front door is fucking unnerving.

9. Yeah, unlocked door is a problem. A few years ago I left my door unlocked to run to the Korean deli next door, and I came back not 2 minutes later and a homeless crack addict had wandered into my house and claimed he was "looking for his friend."

San Francisco is not the suburbs, either.

10. I live across the street from Golden Gate Park, bits of that place are the homeless hive of the city.