Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hey, Web Design People!

1. Hey, Web Design People!

How much does web design cost?

As most of you know we're going to be starting a restaurant and we need a website made for us. I've never had any web design done before. I just want to make sure I don't get raked over the coals. Maybe you can do the job? I don't know. I cook the food.
    Boo, Hiss.

2. Describe some of the functionality of it (so you want people to be able to reserve shit through it? or just like 5 pages with your menu and location directions and some SEO so people can search for you). It also varies per market. You're not in a big city so you might be able to find someone local who's quite good and affordable.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

3. You don't need to build reservation shit into the website, just do a link to OpenTable.

Quote Originally Posted by icarusfall View Post
    How much does web design cost?

As most of you know we're going to be starting a restaurant and we need a website made for us. I've never had any web design done before. I just want to make sure I don't get raked over the coals. Maybe you can do the job? I don't know. I cook the food.
    Depends on who you ask. I'd try to figure out exactly what you want first, and then ask how much it would cost to do the website completely. Try to lock the final price in.

I've tried to do the hourly rate thing and usually get quoted something crazy like 50-75 an hour.

5. We don't want anything terribly fancy. A home page with events we're having soon and a google maps link/phone number/address. A current menu/beers page - this will change often so it'd be best if it's something we can update ourselves. About us/contact page. Links page to some of the farms we're sourcing product from - this will change a lot as well. Maybe a photos page of past events and specials.

We won't be accepting reservations; it's just counter service - order/pay, get your flag, go grab a seat and a runner will bring everything to you.

That's about all I can think of.

Austerity is the name here. I can't stand when restaurants have super fancy flash animations, mouse-over buttons, music, slide-show, and a photo that follows you around like some wrathful god. Just tell me where you are, let me see your food/drink, let me get in touch if I have a reason to, and don't be super busy about it.
    Boo, Hiss.

would it even be this complicated

http://www.thevortexbarandgrill.com/

7. I'd be careful getting someone to custom build you a site. A lot of behind-the-scenes shit could be a time bomb in disguise. That's what happened to Sega-16. The design looked great but was really Swiss cheese.

8. Much less complicated than that.

I like the Vortex a bunch, but that site is obnoxious.
    Boo, Hiss.

9. Set forth the details and have people bid on your project through www.elance.com

10. That seems.... unusual.
    Boo, Hiss.