Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Calling TNL Vegetarians

1. Quote Originally Posted by Advocate View Post
    They also do not want any meat or meat by product touch their food. Its the same description as Stormy's wife, if you read his post. He even referred to her as Vegan and explained her position.
    No, she is just vegetarian. Only very lax vegetarians would eat soup with meat stock (they aren't really vegetarian at all if they do). Some will eat fish, that's as far as meat goes. There is a huge grey area in vegetarian culture, some things are OK for some people and not for others. Like fries sharing a fryer with chicken, or gelatin in gummy snacks. The rules can be different for everyone. As far as labeling restaurant food vegetarian, I would not consider the minimum standard good enough.

2. Neither vegans nor veggies are nazis. They are simply people who have chosen to limit their diet.

Now if a person who has food concerns based on a choice that they've made for themselves walks outside of their house and starts making demands of others, in any setting they are a food nazi. I am neither vegan nor vegetarian but I do NOT fucking eat avocados. So if I walk into the Avocado Hut and start demanding avocado removal and separate facilities for the creation of my nonavocado plate then I'm a dick and a food nazi.

Many serious vegans and vegetarians won't go to any restaurant because of other personal ethical reasons (waste,price, etc). So if these people only eat at home or like minded friends' places how in the world can they be considered nazis?

But anyways icarus, I say screw it. If it's a burger shop then veggie people should probably find someplace else.

Quote Originally Posted by PaCrappa View Post
    Now if a person who has food concerns based on a choice that they've made for themselves walks outside of their house and starts making demands of others, in any setting they are a food nazi. I am neither vegan nor vegetarian but I do NOT fucking eat avocados. So if I walk into the Avocado Hut and start demanding avocado removal and separate facilities for the creation of my nonavocado plate then I'm a dick and a food nazi.
    Pa wins.

4. That's my personal view on it, but I'm also trying to be cool to some veggie friends and offer a veggie burger so they can eat at my place. If they can't deal with the idea that their veggie burger may have a very small amount of animal protein on it, there's nothing I can reasonably do about it.

And really, can we stop the VS thing? I know this is a contentious topic, but I'm just looking for some opinions. We've done the vegetarian/meat eater AHHHHH thing a few months ago.
    Boo, Hiss.

5. I don't eat beef and I probably wouldn't go to a burger joint at all. Offering a veggie burger is nice as a courtesy but it should be clear that it comes with all the caveats that would come with eating at a burger place.

6. Quote Originally Posted by PaCrappa View Post
    If it's a burger shop then veggie people should probably find someplace else.
    This. Offer a veggie burger for variety. Nobody who cares enough is going to come to a burger joint expecting anything more than that.
    your mom

Any plan to offer interesting chicken sandwiches? Or maybe a fish sandwich of some sort? I 'm similar to diff in that I rarely order beef but am far from a vegetarian.

edit: Even turkey burgers are welcome. One thing that irritates me is when a place has like 10 good sounding hamburgers and then buried at the bottom is a turkey burger with lettuce, tomato, and mayo. I don't know if ground turkey is significantly more than decent quality ground beef, but offering that option for all the burgers would be awesome.
    Last edited by Yoshi; 20 Aug 2011 at 01:16 PM.

8. There is a plan to have a bison burger, but only when it's useful to the recipe. My job as a chef is to make everything tastes as good as possible. This means balancing fat content with other flavors and such. We plan on having a very small menu (6-7 burgers, 2 salads, 2 fries, 5 shakes, and occasional specials like stews and soups etc) and making sure everything is as good as we can make it. When you spread yourself too thin, or start making a bunch of things just to pander to everyone, you water down your ability to focus on making everything awesome. I have a few definite principles as a chef and keeping things small is number 1. And it's not to be a jerk or egotistical, it's that by keep ing a narrow focus we do these couple things. But we do them better than everyone else.

There will be no chicken in the kitchen. Ever. We don't have the prep facilities to work with raw chicken. It's horrible to deal with in large quantities.
    Boo, Hiss.

Just wipe the grill off. iif you want to be really nice use a different spatula. If somebody has an issue with that ask them to leave, or offer to microwave their burger for them.

Quote Originally Posted by icarusfall View Post
    There is a plan to have a bison burger, but only when it's useful to the recipe. My job as a chef is to make everything tastes as good as possible. This means balancing fat content with other flavors and such. We plan on having a very small menu (6-7 burgers, 2 salads, 2 fries, 5 shakes, and occasional specials like stews and soups etc) and making sure everything is as good as we can make it. When you spread yourself too thin, or start making a bunch of things just to pander to everyone, you water down your ability to focus on making everything awesome. I have a few definite principles as a chef and keeping things small is number 1. And it's not to be a jerk or egotistical, it's that by keep ing a narrow focus we do these couple things. But we do them better than everyone else.

There will be no chicken in the kitchen. Ever. We don't have the prep facilities to work with raw chicken. It's horrible to deal with in large quantities.
    That all makes sense. I've obviously never had to consider it from the other side before.