Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Calling TNL Vegetarians

1. Notating that something is vegetarian is a nice touch, but ultimately it's up to the customer to check. I don't think it's particularly dishonest to call things vegetarian when there's flying meat fat or whatever, this is something most vegs deal with on a fairly regular basis. As far as "It's a burger place veggies scram," I would, generally, find someplace else or just not eat if I ended up there, and I wouldn't really complain about it. I am, though, pretty low maintainance as far as veg-types go, to the point that many don't even know that about me unless they actually offer me meat (and sometimes not even then) and while I'll usually handle my shit it is nice to go somewhere with friends and not have to be all "well I guess I'll have fries."

I guess what it comes down to is that I wouldn't complain or be upset that a place that was cool and that I liked to go to didn't have much in the way of food I could eat, but if you do you totally win my heart. Bonus points if it's actually something interesting and not afterthought costco freezer patties (which I would still eat).

If I was with friends that wanted to go to a hamburger place, but perhaps I already ate beef that afternoon or the day before, I would probably order something with a different protein. I sometimes get falafel at the gyro place around the corner, so I would have no qualms about getting it at a hamburger restaurant.

3. It's worth doing a veggie burger for the poor vegetarian whose friends want to eat at your joint when they're out. If you have awesome sides, it might not be an issue anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by icarusfall View Post
    I'm thinking garlic-hummus is going to be involved as a topping.
    Hummus is amazing on veggie burgers. Also: Aioli.

The hardest thing about veggie burgers is not making them too dry and brittle, especially if you're trying to make a falafel burger. I was trying to design a burger with a slice of fried halloumi as the patty for a while but it was too hard with my noob skills.