Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1424262728

Thread: 2011 NCAAFB aka Miami's last year of semi-relevance

1. Yeah if you only get four teams I don't think polls like that should determine those teams

2. The fucking coaches poll needs to go.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

3. And no polls should release until after week 4.

That would help, but if UCLA, Washington, Iowa, Purdue, and USC all are 4-0 and have won every game 35-0, USC will be #1 every single time. And that's what is broken about this shit.

5. Good point. Maybe no polls at all? But then how do you decide on who makes the tourney?
    2009 TNL Fantasy Football Champion

Winners of the Big Ten, Big XII, Pac-12, and SEC. No one else has any business playing in that tournament, because they played a garbage schedule without exception.

7. Improve the computer rankings, I think computer rankings COULD work if they factored in everything such as margin of victory, strength of opponent and so on. Right now they're pretty busted but with a good amount of work I think computer rankings would be SIGNIFICANTLY better than these horrible fucking polls.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

8. I don't think computer rankings work, because whatever factors are in them get gamed. That's why you saw, say, Florida State ringing up 70 points on Northeastern Florida A&M State in week 3 - because margin of victory was being calculated.

I still say every team needs a clear path to the championship from day one. That's why the basketball tournament is deemed fair. Because even the most lowliest of teams know what they need to do to win. The polls don't really matter - you win your conference, you get a bid, you win 6 games, and you are champion. If the 5th ranked SEC/Pac-10/Big-10 team doesn't like it, TS - they didn't do what they knew they needed to do.

The 4-team playoff is a massive improvement over what we had before, but it's still not enough. Once they see the revenue rolling in, they will expand it and we'll eventually have a system like the FCS uses.
    Last edited by Diff-chan; 12 Aug 2012 at 03:56 PM.

9. I think any time you can see a formula you can exploit scheduling. But you could put a diminishing returns on a per game basis check in there to mitigate the margin issue. Until the playoffs are expanded to allow anyone with a really strong argument in, there will be fighting. But I have said for a long time that it's really unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    The 4-team playoff is a massive improvement over what we had before, but it's still not enough. Once they see the revenue rolling in, they will expand it and we'll eventually have a system like the FCS uses.
    I think this is the key. We just need to remain patient another 10ish years, and greed will fix this. Someone find Gordon Gecko.