Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Burning Man: A TNL Discussion Topic

1. I won't argue with you about the way you feel about it, but truth be told most things are never going to be a free "fuck the man" event. That only happens when people are dying and buildings are burning. Events such as this? Please. They've figured out a way to market bottled tap water and make billions off of it. This surprises me none.

2. I suppose it shouldn't.

3. Quote Originally Posted by PaCrappa View Post
    You are clearly and obviously correct Diff, but people would have had you believe that this one was somehow the real deal. Being way out there in the desert like that, I once suspected that there may have been a shred of truth to that notion.
    I think it got started by yea, just a bunch of grungy dudes lighting shit on fire by the beach.

And I figure that once those dudes found out that people liked doing it, they saw dollar signs. If they didn't do it, Vitamin Water or some shit would've.

4. If you want something like that, do it yourself and find bands that feel the same. You don't have to take it. You can rage against the machine as good as anyone else.

5. I definitely don't want anything like that. To me 'hippie' is short for hypocrite. So these hippie types are all EARTH FIRST and shit so what do they do? Drive out to some nice untouched portion of desert and fire up one million generators and let all that joyful petroleum smoke rise into the air.

No thank you, this pollution machine (me) is quite happy to rock in the city.

And Diff, the guys that tried to get me to go way back when had this origin story: Dude has bad breakup with wife. Has big FREE party in the desert. At the end of the party they burn down a giant wooden man. Yay. It was definitely free when I was asked to go and I was told that all exchange of goods was limited to barter. So even though it could only have ever been lame to me there was, at some point, a basis in reasonable principle. To me.

6. I blame Dave Matthews.

7. Seems plausible enough.

8. Someone really ought to blame him for something.

9. West Memphis would be a great place to start.

Burning Man info on wiki. Duh.

This is one of my favorite sentences ever:

Burning your own art must be done on an approved burn platform.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery