Page 1 of 6 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: My Mother Has Stage-IV Cancer

1. My Mother Has Stage-IV Cancer

My mother was diagnosed with Stage IV cancer late last night, after she was admitted to the hospital around 5 pm Mountain time. My sister called around 7:30 with the grave news that mom's cancer was spreading and she had cracked her back during a fall from a dizzy spell, caused by her pain meds.

The cancer was first discovered around March of this year and removed shortly after. The tumor reappeared from where it was removed and the cancer had spread to her abdominal area. In June she had extensive surgery to remove the cancerous area, including her bladder. Just last week, my dad told me she was about to start chemotherapy, but my feelings were that the doctors had already waited too long. I just don't understand what was going on with these doctors.

I'm heading home to Montana, on a 6:15 flight out of DFW. I've slept maybe 15 minutes and decided it was best to just get up, because the constant wave of emotions makes it too difficult to sleep.

I envy those that live near their loved ones, because they get to cherish every moment of their lives. Don't take it for granted, because before you know it, they're gone. I just wish I had visited home more often than I have, to enjoy what little time life brings us with our loved ones.
    Last edited by gamevet; 23 Aug 2011 at 02:31 AM.

2. Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Starstuff.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	42.4 KB 
ID:	62793  
    Last edited by icarusfall; 23 Aug 2011 at 02:32 AM.
    Boo, Hiss.

3. Damn, that's horrible news. Sorry to hear that.

4. Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    The cancer was first discovered around March of this year and removed shortly after. The tumor reappeared from where it was removed and the cancer had spread to her abdominal area. In June she had extensive surgery to remove the cancerous area, including her bladder. Just last week, my dad told me she was about to start chemotherapy, but my feelings were that the doctors had already waited too long. I just don't understand what was going on with these doctors.
    I know you want to assign blame here, but maybe what was going on with them was that there's still no cure for cancer.

My condolences, though.

5. Aw man. So sorry.

Harsh.

7. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.

8. Sorry to hear this gamevet.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Bacon McShig View Post
    I know you want to assign blame here, but maybe what was going on with them was that there's still no cure for cancer.

My condolences, though.
    I'm not trying to assign blame. I just don't understand why the doctor handled it the way he did. He told her that the kind of cancer she had, usually started somewhere else, yet they just did radiation in the area where the tumor was removed.

10. I'm sorry to here that man, I'll try amdnkeep your advice in mind
    Check out Mr. Businessman
    He bought some wild, wild life
    On the way to the stock exchange
    He got some wild, wild life