20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

2 10.00%
  • No

5 25.00%
  • Depends on what they did

13 65.00%
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12346 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You Seperate A Person's Output From Their Politics/Actions?

1. I disagree with nearly everything Doug TenNapel says on Twitter, but I like the way the dude draws.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

2. Hey Diff, what would your first impulse be towards a man who said, "I'm a committed communitarian. I regard the Soviet Union as simply state monopoly capitalism. It was run the way the United States would be if Microsoft owned everything. Real communism has never been tried! I would like to see government controls expanded, laws that allow capitalism to not reward the most rapacious, exploitative behavior. I believe government has a strong role to protect us from capitalism. I'm ashamed of our society for how it treats the poor."

3. I've always had mixed feelings on this subject. Since ethics are relative (as well as, in my opinion, the ethics the laws and therefore 'breaking the law' are based on) it would stand to reason that it wouldn't bother you the same way if the views were in line with your own. In some cases I can see someones opposing views not affecting my take on their output. Card is a bit different because he uses his output specifically to advance his views (something which he didn't do before) and that's one of the first cases where I've considered reevaluating something I really loved or at at least offering a disclaimer when I discuss/recommend it. Again, if I agreed with him, it would bother me significantly less, although it still might bother me.

4. I think I do. I mean, if a movie/book/song/game is great, it's great, regardless of how hateful/retarded some of the people creating it may be. Is it disappointing to hear about what these people are like? Sure. Does it make me think any less of the output? I can't think of any situations where it has.

I first watched Rosemary's Baby when I was bored one day right after reading about Polanski being a scumbag. Cool movie.

5. Great art is great art. Chinatown was as good a movie the day before Polanski raped that girl as it was the day after. If you dodge every artist who has done or subscribed to some uncouth shit, you're not going to be left with much of the good stuff.

6. Chinatown's so good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

7. If it's either a personal matter or something done to yourself, I don't care. Hurt others and you can get fucked. Animals aren't people, either, so I have no problem of someone pitting them against each other for sport.

8. http://www.salon.com/books/feature/2000/02/03/card

He doesn't sound that bad. But this is 11 years old.
    I like how even though the interviewer found multiple things in which she agreed with him, even praised him for; since he didn't agree with her most precious view, it discounted everything else.
    Can you say a person is "bad" if you two agree on 9 things out of 10? Assuming the 1 thing isn't whether you should live or not.
    Has he said gays should be put to death or imprisoned or segregated? I'd have a problem with that. But being against gay marriage or the setting up of special laws when there are already laws in place that should cover it? That doesn't bother me.

9. Every time I tell someone I'm against gay marriage they peg me as a homophobe. It's hilarious.

10. How else can you defend that shit?
    Boo, Hiss.