Thread: Computer trouble! - Do i need a new motherboard??

1. Computer trouble! - Do i need a new motherboard??

Please help me tell if my computer is fucked.

My computer is no longer recognizing my DVD or CDRW drives connected to one of my IDE cables. I recently swapped the cable for one of those spiffy new round cables, and i'm almost certain that it worked fine afterwards, because i think i played Morrowind with it in there. Not quite certain though. Today it wouldn't let me play because i have "no recognized CD or DVD drives" (and they are indeed gone from the My Computer folder). Tried putting the old cable back in and still nothing.

Anyone know what could have happened? Is the IDE interface on my motherboard fried? Am i just an idiot?(yes i definatly pushed the cables in all the way) I guess tomorrow i start testing the drives in another computer to see if they still work.

help/advice very much appriciated

-stormy

Andy787 Guest

Re: Computer trouble! - Do i need a new motherboard??

Originally posted by stormy
    Please help me tell if my computer is fucked.

My computer is no longer recognizing my DVD or CDRW drives connected to one of my IDE cables. I recently swapped the cable for one of those spiffy new round cables, and i'm almost certain that it worked fine afterwards, because i think i played Morrowind with it in there. Not quite certain though. Today it wouldn't let me play because i have "no recognized CD or DVD drives" (and they are indeed gone from the My Computer folder). Tried putting the old cable back in and still nothing.

Anyone know what could have happened? Is the IDE interface on my motherboard fried? Am i just an idiot?(yes i definatly pushed the cables in all the way) I guess tomorrow i start testing the drives in another computer to see if they still work.

help/advice very much appriciated

-stormy
    Hmm... Well considering you didn't mention it, I'm assuming you're not using a SCSI HD, so that would mean that you've still got an IDE HD that's being detected. If you have the CD and DVD drives on the cable that the HD isn't on, try putting one of them on the HD's cable and see if it's detected. If so, the secondary IDE slot may have a problem (and you'd likely need a new motherboard). Also check and make sure you didn't put in any of the connectors in upside down (yes, it happens ), and make sure there's nothing touching any of the contacts on the IDE slots. And finally, I'm assuming you've already done so, but if not, go into the BIOS immediatly and try to autodetect your drives again. Hopefully some of this is any kind of help you can use

Andy787 Guest
    Yessir Should have it whenever I finally make a date to take the test too How's the studying for you going?

Andy787 Guest
    I thought you said you were reading a bunch of books and going for your A+ too?

*edit* Erm... or maybe the joke went over my head?

5. Thanks andy. Just woke up, but i will be trying these things later. I'll post an update.

6. Are you running Windows XP by any chance? I've had this happen to a few friends of mine (and me as well, I'm still without DVD and CD-RW) with Windows XP...
    Check out my blog: ExHardcoreGamer.com

Andy787 Guest
    So you're just going to take the software? You're aware that doesn't get you the full certification, right?